Brain tumors arise due to accumulation of abnormal tissues and cells in brain and its surrounding areas. They may deteriorate normal functioning of brain over a period of time. Persistent nausea, frequently occurring headaches, changes in personality, undesired behavioral changes, confusion are some of the prominent warning signs of brain tumors. An open brain surgery is the mainstream treatment method for removal of brain tumors. Traditional surgical approach involves removing the tumors by making proper incisions in patient’s brain. It carries several life-threatening risks. Therefore, surgeons may recommend minimally invasive procedures such as brain endoscopy to patients who are not healthy enough to undergo an open brain surgery.
What is Brain Endoscopy?
Brain endoscopy is a minimally invasive medical intervention which is primarily designed for brain tumors treatment. It can treat various types of brain tumors including pineal region tumors, pituitary tumors, skull base tumors, and Rathke’s cleft cysts. It involves the use of a unique instrument known as an ‘endoscope’ to serve the purpose of tumor removal in an effective manner. An endoscope is a long tube-like device that bears a camera on one-end. This camera is interconnected with a monitoring screen that helps neurosurgeons to view internal details of patient’s brain while performing the operation.
Good Candidates for Brain Endoscopy
The following category of patients is considered to be good candidates for undergoing brain endoscopy procedure.
- Severity of Brain Tumors – Small brain tumors can be managed with the help of medications. However, patients with severe brain tumors can benefit from brain endoscopy
- Additional Medical Issues – Patients should be in a good general health. Patients who have some additional medical issues such as cancer, lung disorders, kidney failure or heart diseases may need to undergo a complete health evaluation. Neurosurgeons will confirm their eligibility depending on their current health status.
- Conventional Surgery – Patients who are not eligible for an open brain surgery due to the risks associated with it can opt for brain endoscopy
Diagnosing Brain Tumors
Patients will need to search qualified and adept neurosurgeons for minimizing the risks and complications associated with brain endoscopy procedure. At first, neurosurgeons may ask patients regarding the symptoms they are experiencing, the medications which they take consume on regular basis, and their routine lifestyle. In addition to this, they may perform the given tests for a precise diagnosis.
- Neurological Tests – Neurological examination includes various factors such as checking hearing ability, balance, coordination, and memory of patients. It helps respective neurosurgeons to analyze whether the patients are normal or suffering from an underlying brain problem. If they suspect any type of abnormality during this evaluation session, they may order certain imaging tests.
- Imaging Tests – Respective doctors may order imaging techniques such as a computerized tomography (CT scan) or a magnetic resonance imaging test (MRI test). These tests allow neurosurgeons to figure out the problematic areas where brain tumors are present. These tests produce high-resolution images of patient’s entire brain and nearby tissues.
Preparing for Brain Endoscopy Surgery
Patients will need to follow certain essential guidelines for ensuring successful results following their brain endoscopy surgery.
- Quit Smoking – Patients who smoke a lot will have to quit this habit before undergoing brain endoscopy Smoking can adversely affect their health and cause complications during the recovery time.
- Eat Healthy Foods – Patients should eat healthy foods and include fresh fruits and vegetables in their diet. They may ask doctors for a diet plan which will help them recover faster.
- Medicines – Patients may need to take certain medicines or stop the intake of medicines which they consume at present. Respective neurosurgeons will instruct them properly regarding this during the pre-surgical consultation.
- Caregiver at Home – Patients will not be allowed to drive vehicles or perform any vigorous physical task following initial few weeks of brain endoscopy Therefore, they should ask someone to stay with them until they become able to resume their routine activities independently.
Procedure for Brain Endoscopy Surgery
As brain endoscopy is minimally invasive in nature, it just requires a couple of hours for completion. Unlike an open surgery, it does not cause loss of blood and can be performed easily with the help of following steps.
- Making Incision – Respective neurosurgeons begin the procedure by making a small incision in skull of patients.
- Insertion of Endoscope – Once an incision is made, neurosurgeons insert a thin endoscope into it for accessing patient’s brain. Endoscope captures real time images of underlying structure of brain. These images help doctors to identify particular areas of concern where the tumors are present.
- Monitoring and Removal of Brain Tumors – Neurosurgeons continuously refer the monitoring screen and perform operation. This surgical approach allows neurosurgeons to monitor patient’s condition and remove the trouble-causing tumors completely without damaging healthy tissues in brain.
Risks and Complications Associated with Brain Endoscopy
The following points elaborate some common risks and complications associated with a brain endoscopy. However, likelihood of occurrence of such problems is extremely rare.
- Sensory and Motor Functions – In rare cases, this surgery may result in loss of sensory and motor functions such as loss of balance, memory, or eyesight.
- Clotting of Blood – Sometimes, patients may have to face the problem of clotting of blood. However, it can be minimized to a greater extent by consuming blood-thinning medications.
- Severe Infection – Patients may get a severe infection at incision site. Respective neurosurgeons are likely to provide antibiotic medicines to reduce its chances of occurrence.
- Stroke or Coma – There are chances that patients may get a serious stroke or go into a state of coma following their brain endoscopy
Patients should ask respective doctors regarding possible solutions to reduce the chances of such problems prior undergoing brain endoscopy.
Recovery Following Brain Endoscopy
Generally, patients require staying in hospital just for a day or two following brain endoscopy. They may feel dizziness or discomfort around their head for a few days. Respective neurosurgeons may prescribe medicines to help treat their condition. They will need to make healthy lifestyle changes in terms of eating healthy foods, taking proper rest, and exercising regularly to recover at a faster rate. Furthermore, they should also attend follow-up care sessions to maintain long-term outcomes.
Merits of Availing Brain Endoscopy in India with Travcure
Travcure Medical Tourism is one of the topmost medical tourism facilitators across the world. Team Travcure is associated with a large range of multispecialty hospitals and well-experienced neurosurgeons in India. Their goal is to provide best neurological treatments to international patients in a hassle-free manner. Brain endoscopy cost in western countries is beyond the reach of a common man. Whereas, Travcure offers similar medical procedures at highly cost-effective rates. They make every effort to meet healthcare requirements of overseas patients. They begin with arranging a free online medical consultation to understand expectations of patients and design suitable treatment plans for them. They also assist them in obtaining their medical visas as early as possible. Not just this, they provide assistance to overseas patients throughout the recovery phase even when they return to their home countries. This is the main reason why Travcure has gained so much of appreciation for their services from overseas patients. Therefore, international patients seeking best brain endoscopy in India can rely on staunch medical provisions offered by Travcure Medical Tourism.
To Get Free Quotes & Consultation For This Treatment in India
Call Us: +91-8600044116
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org