What is Jaw Surgery?
Orthognathic or jaw surgery is a corrective jaw surgery that straightens or realigns the jaw, and corrects skeletal deformities. The main objective is to correct a severe malocclusion (improper bite) that may be cause functional problems in daily activities like speech, chewing food or even sleep apnea.
You might also experience headaches, joint pain or periodontal (gum) discomfort. The following conditions may prompt the need for orthognathic surgery:
- Birth defects
- Chronic jaw or jaw joint (TMJ) pain
- Involuntary mouth breathing
- Inability of your lips to come together without straining
- Trauma or injury to the jaw or face
- Open bite (space between the upper and lower teeth when your mouth is closed)
- Protruding jaw
- Receding lower jaw and chin
- Tumor or pathology affecting the jaw
Am I The Candidate For Jaw Surgery?
Most individuals who undergo orthognathic surgery are aware of their problem prior to the diagnosis. It is common, however, for that patient to be unaware of the current options that are available to treat their condition. As the jaws mature through the course of normal growth and development, it is possible for the growth of the jaws to cease or to come to completion leaving a disharmony of function and esthetics. For any number of reasons the jaws can, at that time, remain disproportionate in size and shape. The cause of this disharmony and disproportionality is often important when determining a final treatment plan and can be a result of an unfavorable genetic expression of growth (most common), history of trauma, abnormal or exuberant activity of a growth center from an unknown cause. Fortunately, the majority of jaws disproportional- ties are merely result of an unfavorable genetic expression of normal growth.
Types of Jaw Surgery:
Jaw surgery can be performed on the upper jaw, lower jaw or both.
Upper jaw (maxillary osteotomy)
A maxillary osteotomy is performed to correct these issues:
- Significantly receded upper jaw
- Too much or too little of the teeth showing
- Open bite
Lower jaw (mandibular osteotomy)
A significantly receded lower jaw can be corrected by a procedure called mandibular osteotomy.
Chin surgery (genioplasty)
A deficient chin often accompanies a severely receded lower jaw. Deficient chin is fixed by a procedure called genioplasty, where your surgeon cuts your chin bone and secures it in a new position. Typically, surgeons can alter the jaw and restructure the chin during the same surgery.
Which Is The Best-suited Option For Me?
Your dentist, orthodontist and OMS will work together to determine whether you are a candidate for corrective jaw, or orthognathic, surgery. The OMS determines which corrective jaw surgical procedure is appropriate and performs the surgery. It is important to understand that your treatment, which will probably include orthodontics before and after surgery, may take several years to complete. This is a long-term commitment for you and your family.
Why It Is To Be Done?
Corrective jaw surgery is a medical procedure and not cosmetic procedure, and is necessary to prevent more expensive medical and dental problems later in life. The procedure helps to ease and improve your lifestyle in many ways. It can help to solve one or many of the listed problems like –
- Make biting and chewing easier and improve chewing overall
- Minimize excessive wear and breakdown of the teeth over years of use
- Correct facial imbalance, improving the appearance of deficient chins, underbites, overbites and crossbites
- Restore balance (symmetry) to middle and lower facial features
- Improve “gummy” smiles, where the lips don’t fully close or pull upward and show large areas of the gums
- Improve “toothless” smiles, where the lips cover all the teeth
- Reduce the risk of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder and other jaw problems
- Repair and correct post-traumatic facial injury, defects and abnormalities
- Provide relief for sleep apnea
On Selecting Travcure Medical Tourism
Travcure Medical Tourism assures you get the best of hospital treatments and everything is taken care of in detail so you stop worrying and relax after you surgery. Moreover, Travcure assures all treatments are available at affordable prices all over India. The tie up and accredited hospitals make sure you have the best of facilities and a happy stay!