Dental veneers are useful artificial dental prosthetics that are essential to improve your appearance. It is a purely cosmetic dental procedure which requires implanting a set of veneers usually in the front teeth to mask crooked or damaged teeth and improve your smile.
Dental veneers are made from porcelain or they could be made from resin composite materials which are more efficient to make and affordable in cost as well. These resins or porcelain is used to craft bespoke wafer-thin ‘caps’ for the teeth depending on your natural teeth’s size, shape color or length.
What are Dental Veneers useful for?
Dental veneers are mostly fixed as an aesthetic procedure to improve your appearance by hiding diseased or damaged teeth in the front part of the mouth.
Dental veneers are most useful for:
- Discolored teeth that are a result of a root canal treatment, stains from medicinal drugs or other reasons
- Worn teeth
- Chipped/broken teeth
- Misaligned, irregular or uneven teeth
- Closing the gap between teeth
How is a Dental Veneer fixed?
A dental veneer fitting procedure is a purely cosmetic procedure but requires 2-3 visits to the dentist for consultation and applying the veneers. A dental veneer can be required for a single tooth to multiple consecutive teeth together.
The procedure starts with administering local anesthesia to numb the oral region. The dentist then starts removing about 0.5 mm of enamel from the tooth surface which is similar to the thickness of the veneer to be fitted. The dimensions and color of the veneer is decided and ordered for production after the first consultation with the dentist. It usually takes around 1-2 weeks for the dental veneer to be prepared according to your requirements.
Before implanting the veneer, the dentist will check it against the original teeth to determine if the fit will be as desired. The veneer might also need certain finishing touches at the last moment to ensure a perfect fit on the teeth.
The dentist then cleans and etches your teeth to prepare them for the bonding process. A special dental adhesive is used to fix the veneer to the teeth. After the dentist is satisfied with the fir of the veneers a specialized light beam is focused onto the veneers to enable the dental cement become adhesive faster. Any excess dental cement is removed and last minute adjustments are made of required.
What are the advantages of Dental Veneers?
A dental veneer procedure can have various advantages over other cosmetic dental treatments for hiding unseemly teeth. These are the distinct advantages of dental veneers:
- They provide a natural appearance to the teeth
- Gums are able to tolerate porcelain better than compared to other materials
- Porcelain veneers are more durable due to being stain-resistant
- The color of the veneer can be used to make dark-colored teeth appear lighter in shade
- They are more efficient and affordable than a dental crown
Veneers are more efficient and advantages to other methods such as dental crowns as they are more durable (10-15 years) and easier to maintain.
Are there any disadvantages of Dental Veneers?
There are some downsides of having a dental veneer implant, such as:
- It is an irreversible process
- Veneers are costlier than composite resin bonding
- Veneer are hard to repair
- Due to removal of enamel the tooth may become more sensitive to hot/cold food or beverage
- Color of the veneer might not match that of the natural teeth if you have a teeth-whitening procedure
- Rare cases have shown that shoddily-fixed veneer may fall off or get dislocated
Dental veneers are now fast becoming the choice treatment for people unsatisfied with the appearance of their teeth and plan to fix them using efficient yet affordable means. Dental veneers are a perfect choice if you wish to alter the appearance of your teeth slightly less than that seen with dental crown but more than that seen after dental bonding. This is an efficient and budget-friendly method of cosmetic dental repair.
To Get Free Quotes & Consultation For This Treatment in India
Call Us: +91-8600044116
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org