Senior Orthopedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon
Fortis Hospital, Mumbai
- MS in orthopaedics in one of Asia 's premier institutions - King Edward Memorial Hospital , Bombay .FRCS (Trauma and Orthopedics) – U.K, FRCS (Gen. Surgery) – U.K.
- Diploma in Sports medicine – Great Britain and Ireland
- MS (orthopedics) – Mumbai University
- Completed the Indian and British orthopedic training programs.
- Knee and Hip fellowship – hip and knee resurfacing, knee ligament reconstruction and joint replacement – Freeman Hospital, U.K.
Dr. Malhan completed his MS in orthopaedics in one of Asia’s premier institutions - King Edward Memorial Hospital, Bombay. He quickly progressed to become a junior consultant and lecturer in orthopaedic surgery at the same institute. His interest in joint replacement and sports surgery took him overseas where he spent nearly 7 years training in some of the best centers for joint replacement and resurfacing surgery including the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Hospital, Oswestry, U.K.
Dr. Malhan completed the British orthopaedic training programme in the Oswestry-Stoke rotation (West Midlands) and was awarded the FRCS(Orth). Besides extensive training in primary and revision joint replacement surgery he has also worked in the National institute of sports surgery – UK and units dedicated to knee and shoulder arthroscopic surgery. He is well versed with advanced techniques in cartilage and ligament reconstruction. Dr Malhan did his post FRCS (Orth) fellowship in advanced joint surgery at the Freeman hospital, Newcastle - UK. He is presently a consultant surgeon at the Wockhardt Bone and Joint hospital, Bombay (now called Mumbai) and specializes in knee, hip and shoulder surgery. Here he has established the Regional Hip Resurfacing and Joint Replacement Center for western India. This center has state of the art infrastructure and attracts patients from all over India and overseas.
Dr. Malhan has been in the forefront in the field of high bending total knee replacement and minimally invasive replacement surgery. The first minimally invasive mobile bearing unicompartmental knee replacement in India was done by him.
Dr. Kaushal Malhan pioneered and popularized hip resurfacing surgery with the first ever live surgical demonstration of the Birmingham hip resurfacing done in Bombay (now called Mumbai). This was done in an international conference on resurfacing at the Wockhardt Hospital, Bombay. The conference was presided over by Dr. Dereck McMinn the inventor of the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing. Dr. Malhan has performed the highest number of Birmingham hip resurfacings in Bombay. He is also the only surgeon to have publicly demonstrated his skills in Mumbai, time and again. Recently two of his live demonstrations of hip resurfacing surgery were telecast to multiple centers within India, for the benefit of other orthopaedic surgeons. He is also actively involved in training overseas surgeons in hip resurfacing and recently did a live demonstration for surgeons from Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam. He has also had the privilege to demonstrate this surgery in one of the largest teaching hospitals in the country. Recently, Dr. Malhan was selected from amongst India’s joint replacement and resurfacing surgeons to lecture on hip resurfacing for an audience of North American doctors at a symposium organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry(CII).
- 12 Publications (9 in international journals like The Knee, Spine, Arthroscopy)
- 21 Presentations (18 in international meetings)
- 2 Dissertations
- Demonstrator on faculty in India and abroad – 7
- 15 international courses and symposia
- Guest lectures at meetings – 50 (these include lectures to prestigious medical bodies like the IMA and GPA)
- Convenes the Fortis trauma course views and articles have been published in reputed newspapers and magazines like the Times. Express, Free Press journal, Midday etc.
- He pioneered gender specific minimally invasive knee replacement for women in Mumbai. He also performed the first minimally invasive mobile bearing unicompartmental knee resurfacing in India.
- Birmingham Hip Replacement
- Knee Surgery
- Sports Injures
- Total Joint Replacement
- Sports Surgery
- Cartilage Reconstruction
- Ligament Reconstruction
- Knee Surgery
- Hip Surgery
- Shoulder Surgery
- Hip Resurfacing Surgery