Cosmetic and Reconstructive surgery
- M.B.B.S., M.S. (General Surgery)
- M.Ch. (Plastic Surgery)
From Government Medical College and Hospital, Nagpur. First Plastic and Maxillo-facial Surgery Centre in India.
Experience and Training Abroad:
Dr.Ilyas, after exhaustive training in India, left the country in March 1987 to work as Specialist Plastic Surgeon at the Al-Noor Specialist Hospital, Makkah, K.S.A. for three years.
Dr.Ilyas was then selected under BAPS sponsored SHO Scheme to Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, U.K. for one year. Dr.Ilyas then moved to work as Registrar at the Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood, London, for one year.
Dr.Ilyas was then appointed as Senior Registrar at the University College Hospital and the Middlesex Hospital, London for one year.
During the above period Dr.Ilyas learned and performed innumerable micro-vascular, cosmetic, burns, reconstructive and hand surgery.
He returned to India in Feb. 1993 to work as Consultant Plastic Surgeon at The Pioneer Hospital, Nagpur. He has the distinction of performing first Hand re-implantation and micro-vascular free flaps in central India. Since 1994, Dr.Ilyas was invited to work as Locum Senior Registrar (4 years) and Consultant Plastic Surgeon (10 years) nearly every year during summer (for a period of 4 to 6 months each year) to work at The University College Hospitals, London, The Middlesex Hospital and The Royal Free Hospital, London. His frequent visits abroad gave him an opportunity to update his knowledge and skills in the recent advances in the field of Plastic, aesthetic and reconstructive surgery. During his recent visits, he was responsible to clear the waiting list initiative which comprised of mostly the patients of Breast reductions, breast augmentations, mastopexy, breast reconstruction, abdominoplasty, liposuctions (buffalo hump and back for pts. on anti- retroviral treatment), prominent ears, scar revisions etc. Dr.Ilyas also spent some time with Dr. Richard Dowden at the Cleveland Ohio clinic, U.S.A.
Was invited faculty at the Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Sawangi, Wardha, to demonstrate Cleft Rhinoplasty and Cleft Lip surgery in Feb. 2007 by The Asso. of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons of India.
Was invited as Faculty by The Asso. of Surgeons of India, Nagpur Chapter, at the Government Medical College Nagpur in Dec. 2007, for breast reconstruction following conservative breast surgery for cancer.
Scholarship and Awards:
- National Merit Scholarship 1975 and for the duration of M.B.B.S.
- IXth INTT Congress APSI International Training Fellowship by The Association Of Plastic Surgeons of India at Trivandrum on 24th August 1995.
- “Sir Syed Ahmad Trophy” for excellence in service to poor in Nagpur Region. India – 1996.
- Micro-surgery workshop in April 1991, at the Northwick Park Hospital, London
- The Canniesburn Hospital Practical Course on Flaps in September 1992 at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Regional Plastic and Oral Surgery Unit, Glasgow.
- Advanced courses in Plastic Surgery on Melanoma, Breast Reconstruction, Lower Extremity Trauma and Hand Surgery.
Membership of Societies:
- Overseas Associate Member of the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons
- Life member of Association of Plastic Surgeons of India
- Life member of the Aesthetic Surgeons of India
- Life member of the Indian Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Life member of the National Academy of Burns
- Life member of The Micro-vascular Surgeons of India
- Life member of The Indian Medical Association etc.
Areas of Interest:
Rhinoplasty(cosmetic and cleft), Breast reduction, augmentation, reconstruction and mastopexy, Abdominoplasty(Tummy-tuck), Face-lift, Fore-head & Brow lift , Neck lift, Body contouring & Liposculpture by surgical lipectomies and Liposuctions, Post-weight reduction lifts, Blepharoplasty(baggy- eyelids), Post-burn reconstructions etc.
- Plastic Surgery Training Course organised by British Association of Plastic Surgeons & Royal College of Surgeons of EnglandDuration- 3 Years- June 1995 to June 1998
- ATLS (Advanced Trauma & Life Support) course Derby, United Kingdom Duration 07/06/99 to 09/06/99
- POPUMET Sheffield, United Kingdom Duration 23/09/98
- AO Mini Fragment Workshop for Surgeons, Derby, United Kingdom Duration 19/10/98 to 21/10/98
- Advanced course in plastic surgery on aesthetic surgery, Glasgow, United Kingdom, Duration 01/10/97 to 02/10/97
- Flap Course Canniesburn, Glasgow, United Kingdom, Duration 01/10/97 to 02/10/97
- Microsurgery Workshop Canniesburn, Glasgow, United Kingdom, Duration 15/04/96 to 19/04/96
- Advanced Course in Plastic Surgery on Lower Limb Trauma, Manchester, United Kingdom Duration 18/09/98 to 19/09/98