Gamma Knife Radiosurgery is not a surgery in the true sense. It is a type of radiation therapy which is used as treatment for brain tumors & other abnormalities within the brain. Gamma Knife radiosurgery uses a specialized equipment which is designed to focus almost 200 tiny beams of radiation upon a tumor target. Singly, each beam produces little effect on brain tissue as it passes through, but an extremely strong dose of radiation is delivered to the site where beams eventually meet. Moreover, precision of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery is unmatched & therefore results in minimal damage to the surrounding healthy tissue around the target. It is also a fact that Gamma Knife radiosurgery has lower risk of side effects when compared to various other types of radiation therapies. Most often Gamma Knife radiosurgery is a much safer option than the conventional brain tumor surgery. To top it all, Gamma knife is usually a one-time outpatient procedure which is completed within a single day.
Neurological Conditions Treated by Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
Majority of Gamma Knife radiosurgery patients nowadays account for brain tumor treatment & vascular disorders. This procedure is also a good option for treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. Gamma Knife radiosurgery is extremely effective in controlling growth of brain tumors & hemorrhaging resulting from vascular malformations. They efficiently & precisely target lesions so that risk of damaging the surrounding healthy tissue is minimized. Gamma Knife radiosurgery has proven to be effective for patients with differing neurological conditions including the following.
- Metastatic Brain Tumors – These secondary brain tumors come from a variety of primary cancers like kidney, colon, lung, breast, & skin cancer.
- Benign Brain Tumors – These include brain tumors like pituitary adenomas, acoustic neuromas & meningiomas.
- Malignant Primary Brain Tumors – These brain tumors include chondrosarcoma, high grade glial or glomus brain tumors.
- Vascular Malformations – These include cavernous malformations or arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) found in brain.
- Functional Diseases – These include neurological brain conditions like tic douloureux or trigeminal neuralgia facial pain.
Right Candidates for Gamma Knife Brain Tumor Treatment
- Patients having neurological conditions which are surgically inaccessible or when surgery is deemed inadvisable.
- Patient is having other health risk factors (co-morbidities), which makes surgery & general anesthesia inadvisable.
- Patient is still in need or additional treatment after brain tumor surgery.
- Requiring treatment for regrowth or recurrence of brain tumors or for treatment for residual disease.
- Brain tumor patients not willing to undergo surgical intervention.
The patient’s medical history along with imaging tests & other information provided by the general physicial will be reviewed by a team of experts in order to determine whether Gamma Knife radiosurgery is the best option. In case the patient is not suitable for this Gamma Knife procedure, team of experts will suggest an alternative option.
Evaluation for Gamma Knife Brain Tumor Treatment
Most patients coming for Gamma Knife radiosurgery treatments are diagnosed with brain tumors & head & neck conditions. Majority of these patients are generally referred to Gamma Knife treatment team members of the Gamma Knife center for evaluation. Moreover, self-referrals for evaluation by the treatment team are also welcome. Gamma Knife treatments are normally performed by a multidisciplinary team consisting of specialists, which includes a radiation oncologist, neurosurgeon, physicist & specially trained nursing staff. Each potential candidate for Gamma Knife radiosurgery is reviewed by the concerned treatment team in order to ensure that it is an appropriate case for Gamma Knife treatment.
Brain Tumor Treatment with Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
Gamma Knife radiosurgery is a very effective noninvasive alternative treatment or supplement to conventional brain tumor surgery. This is a highly sophisticated technological treatment which precisely directs focused radiation to specific targets within the brain. Gamma Knife radiosurgery treatment is typically performed as a single session outpatient procedure without needing general anesthesia. This is a proven technique which is helpful in avoiding incisions, scarring & long stays at the hospital while minimizing complications that are associated with surgery. Gamma Knife brain tumor treatment is one of the most accurate forms of stereotactic radiosurgery which is available at present.
Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for Brain Tumor Treatment Outcomes
Gamma Knife radiosurgery effect on brain tumors occurs gradually, largely depending upon the neurological condition being treated, like the ones mentioned below.
- Benign Tumors – Gamma Knife radiosurgery is effectively able to stop brain tumor cells from reproducing. Brain tumors may therefore also shrink over a period of 18 months to 2 years. However, main goal of Gamma Knife radiosurgery in treatment of benign tumors is to prevent further growth of brain tumors.
- Malignant Tumors – Cancerous (malignant) brain tumors are also found to shrink more rapidly with Gamma Knife radiosurgery, most often within a few months of time.
- AVMs – Arteriovenous Malformations – Gamma Knife radiosurgery usually causes abnormal brain AVMs to thicken & eventually close. This process may however take about 2 years of time or more.
- Trigeminal Neuralgia – Although relief from pain may take several months, Gamma Knife radiosurgery effectively works by creating a lesion which eventually blocks transmission of pain signals along trigeminal nerve.
Gamma Knife radiosurgery patients will receive specific instructions from the brain tumor radiation treatment team on appropriate follow-up examinations which are required to monitor progress in treatment.
Affordable Gamma Knife Brain Tumor Treatment in India
Irrespective of brain tumor causes or whether they are primary or secondary, Gamma Knife brain tumor treatment in India is at par with the best that an international patient can get anywhere else in the world. Moreover, brain tumor treatment success rate in India is as good as it can get in other places. Apart from these advantages, brain tumor treatment costs in India are unbelievably low when compared with other global medical tourism destinations providing Gamma Knife radiosurgery procedures for brain tumor treatments.
Avail Gamma Knife Radiosurgery with Travcure Medical Tourism
Travcure Medical Tourism is a one-stop medical tourism platform which can provide the best & most competitive medical procedures to international patients including advanced neurological solutions like Gamma Knife radiosurgery for treatment of brain tumors. Globally reputed, Travcure is associated with top neurosurgeons & the best accredited multispecialty healthcare institutions within the country so as to offer a wide spectrum of healthcare solutions at reasonable costs. This is an ideal opportunity for people around the world seeking affordable medical solutions beyond their homeland, look no further, Travcure Medical Tourism is offering you the best brain tumor treatment in India at down-to-earth costs.