is a form of cancer or tumor which mainly affects the body’s circulatory system consisting of the blood vessels. Blood cancer can affect the person’s blood, bone marrow, lymphatic system
and the lymph and can also spread (metastasize) to other surrounding organs of the body.
basically affects the production of blood cells as well as altering their functioning. Most of the blood cancers are found to originate in the bone marrow inside the bones where the blood cells are produced.
What are the Types of Blood Cancer?
The commonly seen types of blood cancer
- Leukemia – This form of blood cancer originates in the blood-producing tissue.
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma – This type of blood cancer originates in the lymphatic system from cells that are known as ‘lymphocytes’. These are a type of white blood cells that are responsible for antibiotic function in the body by fighting against infections.
- Hodgkin Lymphoma – This form of blood cancer develops from the lymphocytes in the lymphatic system. This type of blood cancer is signified by the abnormal level of the B lymphocyte which is abnormal in nature and causes problems.
- Multiple Myeloma – This type of cancer originates in the plasma cells in the blood, which is a type of white blood cell that is produced in the bone marrow.
What are the Symptoms of Blood Cancer?
These are the commonly seen signs and symptoms of blood cancer
- Constant fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Unexplained weight-loss
- Night sweats
- Bone/joint pain
- Abdominal discomfort
- Shortness of breath
- Frequent infections
- Skin rash/itchy skin
- Swollen lymph nodes in neck, groin, etc
What are the Treatments for Blood Cancer?
There are various methods that can be used to successfully treat blood cancer
. The surgeon/specialist will decide on the best and most suitable blood cancer treatment method depending on several factors such as the type of cancer, your age and the rate of metastasizing (spreading) of cancer and similar other factors.
These are the different blood cancer treatments
that are commonly available:
Stem Cell Transplantation
This stem cell therapy
aims to infuse healthy blood-forming cells in the body. These stem cells can be sourced from the bone marrow, peripheral blood, and the umbilical cord blood.
This is an effective treatment method for blood cancer in its earlier stages. This method aims to disable the production and spread of the cancerous cells in the body. Chemotherapy
requires the medicinal drugs to be given in a set regimen with several periods of intervals. This treatment may also be performed before beginning a stem cell transplant.
This Radiation therapy
involves using high-energy beams of x-rays or other particles to destroy cancer cells inside the body. This is a targeted yet non-invasive blood cancer treatment method which is usually given as a standalone procedure or may be performed before a stem cell transplant.
Blood Cancer Treatment in India
India is known as one of the best destination for foreign patients who wish to have their medical treatments in India. India is home to a large network of world-class hospitals
and clinics that are spread across all major cities in India. These hospitals and healthcare facilities are equipped with the best and latest in medical and surgical technology
. The management of these globally renowned hospitals and clinics are in the hands of the top-most medical experts and specialists. India is well-known for offering high-quality treatment
using the best of equipments at the most affordable cost to the patient. Thousands of patients from abroad come to India each year to get successful blood cancer treatment at a budget price
at the hands of the top surgeons and doctors.