Dermatology is the medical specialty that diagnoses, treats and prevents disorders and diseases of the hair, nails and skin. This specialty includes the medical and surgical aspects of the category. A dermatologist is a specialist who is especially trained to manage diagnosis and treatment for all types of dermatological diseases and problems. Dermatology consists of different specialized fields such as:
- Cosmetic dermatology – Some of the dermatological treatments fall under the label of cosmetic surgery as well. Cosmetic procedures such as using Botox (butolinum), skin fillers and laser surgery. Dermatology also includes liposuction, face lifts and blepharoplasty using minimally invasive methods.
- Dermatopathology – This specialty of dermatology is related to the pathology of the skin. This is useful in diagnosis of dermal (skin) diseases and disorders as well as other related medical conditions.
- Immunodermatology – This field of dermatology specializes in the treatment of immune system-related diseases such as bullous, lupus, pemphigus vulgaris and pemphigoid.
- Pediatric dermatology – This field of dermatology is used to treat the various forms of dermatologic disorders that are seen most prevalent in infants and children. This field is useful in treatment of hereditary skin diseases mainly.
Dermatology also includes the following therapies among others:
- Filler injections – Cosmetic non-surgical procedure to get rid of wrinkles in the facial skin.
- Laser hair removal – Use of high-energy laser beam to cause permanent removal of hair.
- Hair transplantation – Using grafted hair follicles to implant in the bald areas to treat baldness.
- Laser skin resurfacing – Used in reducing abnormal texture of the skin to make it look more youthful.
- Photodynamic therapy – Used to treat skin cancer and pre-cancerous abnormal tissue growths.
- Laser tattoo removal – Used to remove unwanted wanted by using a high-energy beam of laser in order to remove the outer layer of dyed skin.
- Tumescent liposuction – This is a minor procedure to perform liposuction fat removal.
- Cryosurgery – Used to treat dermatosis, skin cancers and warts.
- Systematic therapies – Includes using immunomodulators, antibiotics and other injectable products.
- Botox – Using a highly-diluted and weak form of the toxin butolinum to cause the facial muscles to tighten up in order to improve sagging skin and other similar signs of aging.
- Collagen – This therapy stimulates the production of collagen in the body to reduce the visible signs of aging such as wrinkled skin and sagging facial muscles.
- Laser fat reduction – Uses high-energy laser beams to dislodge and reduce the excessive fat in the targeted area so that a part of it can be naturally absorbed by the body and help in fat reduction and reshaping the body.
There are several medical-related procedures that are often performed by trained dermatologists such as:
- Acne treatment – There are several different treatment methods such as laser treatment and using topical substances for treatment of acne.
- Benign growth removal – This dermatological procedure is used to remove benign dermal growths such as skin tags, birth marks, moles and keratoses.
- Skin cancer screening – This is a form of pathological dermatology procedure that aims to observe the entire skin completely and thoroughly to check for signs and symptoms of skin cancer.
- Skin cancer removal – This type of surgery is commonly used to remove abnormal skin growths such as basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma.
- Endovenous laser ablation – This treatment is a minimally invasive procedure to block the blood supply to a problematic vein by heating it with an intravenous laser light device.
Dermatology can be used as a purely cosmetic treatment, a combination of cosmetic and medical as well as mostly medical in nature. Dermatology covers all aspects related to problems and medical disorders related to the hair and skin.[free_quotes_and_consultation]