Intragastric balloon is a soft balloon made of silicon which is inserted into the stomach when deflated and then filled with saline solution to partially fill the stomach. This leaves less space for food or drink which in term helps the individual to lose weight in a normal way. However, intragastric balloon is only a temporary solution for weight loss where the balloon is removed usually after six months. In most cases this procedure is adopted in order to lose enough weight to allow gastric banding or gastric bypass surgery. A gastric balloon reduces the feeling of hunger and makes the person feel full for a long time after meals.
What is Intragastric Balloon Surgery?
Intragastric balloon surgery is a non invasive weight loss treatment which can help in losing weight fast. However, this is a temporary option because the balloon has to be removed after approximately six months of being inserted.
The principle behind this procedure is to reduce the individual’s intake of food which happens because the intragastric balloon partially fills up the stomach. The person feels full sooner and can stay without food for longer. This means that he or she is consuming much less calories compared to earlier due to which there is fast weight loss. Although this is relatively a minor procedure, there initially may be some discomfort as the stomach and body takes some time to adjust to the intragastric balloon.
People who have a body mass index of 30% or 40% more than the ideal weight are ideal candidates for intragastric balloon surgery. This is also a good option for people who do not want invasive surgery like liposuction and for those who want a temporary solution to help them change their eating habits and lifestyle. One of the conditions for people who opt for intragastric balloon surgery is that they should not have heartburn or poorly stabilized diabetes. Other than this there are no other requisites and any person who wants to lose weight fast can opt for this surgery.
In some cases the individual may not be able to tolerate the balloon for complete six months and it may have to be removed early. However, this is not usually the case and there are practically no complications associated with this procedure. Most people are able to tolerate the balloon quite well and only few experience nausea, uneasiness or discomfort for 2-3 days which are controlled with the help of drugs. It is possible to resume daily activities within one week of the procedure.
What is the Procedure of Intragastric Balloon Surgery?
The intragastric balloon is essentially a silicon pouch that is inserted into the stomach when deflated. The balloon is inserted into the stomach through the mouth under sedation with the help of a procedure known as endoscopy. Once the balloon is inserted into the stomach it is filled up with saline solution using a small catheter as a result of which the balloon occupies a reasonable amount of space in the stomach. The presence of the inflated balloon in the stomach reduces the feeling of hunger and as a result the person eats less food and loses weight rapidly. The procedure is completely painless and requires about 20-30 minutes after which the physician will monitor the patient for a short time and then relieve him or her from the clinic or hospital. Sometimes a person may be kept overnight in the hospital to ensure that there is no adverse reaction to the balloon, but usually most people’s bodies accept the balloon quite readily and there are no complications.
What are the Benefits of Intragastric Balloon Surgery?
There are several advantages of intragastric balloon surgery over more complex procedures:
- It is a non invasive procedure and hence there are no risks normally associated with invasive surgery.
- It is possible to lose 15-20 kilograms weight with the help of this procedure depending on your adherence to diet which is essentially small meals and a healthy low calorie diet. If you add exercise to your regime then the weight loss is more and faster.
- Recovery after intragastric balloon surgery is fast and you can go home the same day or the next day if you are kept overnight in the hospital.
- It is a procedure that takes very less time – 20 to 30 minutes
- Most people are able to tolerate the balloon quite well and only a few people feel any discomfort if at all. Even if there is a feeling of nausea, discomfort or uneasiness it can be controlled with drugs and usually goes away after 3-4 days.
- The balloon is adjustable and has a good life which means that you don’t have to worry about the balloon getting damaged while you are under the treatment.
- The cost of intragastric balloon surgery is much lower than other types of treatments for obesity.
- Although the weight loss partially depends on the type of diet you take and the amount of exercise you indulge in, but due to the fact that your stomach is partially filled up with the balloon, your intake of food naturally reduces also restricting the amount of calories you intake.
- The most significant advantage of this procedure is that there are no complications associated with it compared to other invasive and non invasive procedures.
Why Intragastric Balloon Surgery in India?
India has become popular all over the world as a destination of choice for medical tourism. The main reason behind this is the low cost of treatment in India compared to most advanced countries of the world. At the same time, the major hospitals in India have state of the art facilities and equipment which are provided at a low cost. The Indian doctors are well qualified and trained and sometimes also have international qualifications and experience under their belt.
Not just medical treatment, but an overall support is provided to the patients and their families which ensure their fast recovery. At Travcure we enhance this experience with the best medical facilities under the guidance of experienced surgeons and expert nutritionists. At the same time, we help our patients learn about intragastric balloon surgery and also help them know each and every aspect of the surgery they planning to undergo.