Ligaments are bands of strong & elastic connective tissue that enclose a joint to provide support and restrict extensive movement of the joint which can dislocate. When ligaments are injured, the knee joint may become inconsistent. Damage to ligaments generally occurs from some sort of sports injury. A torn ligament acutely limits knee movement, causing inability to pivot, twist or turn the leg. Knee Ligament Surgery is an alternative to repairing a torn ligament if other medical remedies have not proven to be effective.
What Causes Knee Ligament Injury?
Knee Ligament injuries can be caused by several reasons like the following.
- Directly getting hit on the knee
- Jumping and landing on a curved knee
- Stretching the knee too far
- Pausing suddenly while running
- Instantly shifting load from one leg to the other
Such injuries are frequent in football players, gymnasts, skiers and other athletes.
Types of Knee Ligaments
There are four major types of ligaments in the knee which are prone to injuries. Ligaments within the knee connect thighbone (femur) to the shin bone (tibia) and include the following.
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL): Located in the center of the knee, it is responsible for controlling rotation and forward motion of shin bone. Read more on ACL Repair Surgery..
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL): Located in the center of the knee, it controls the backward movement of shin bone.
- Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL): It is responsible for providing stability to the inner side of the knee.
- Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL): It provides stability to the outer knee.
Why an Individual Might Need a Knee Ligament Repair?
There can be many reasons for one’s healthcare provider to suggest a Knee Ligament Repair. Most common symptoms of a Knee Ligament Injury include the following.
- Sudden and severe pain
- A loud snap during injury
- Extreme swelling
- Tenderness in the knee joint
- Insufficiency to put load on the point without pain
When these symptoms are not treated at right time, severe ligament injuries may form some time later. To diagnose ligament injury, doctors may take a thorough examination. If knee of the patient is severely swollen with blood, the doctor may use a needle to evacuate it. The patient may need X-rays, Magnetic Resonance Imaging scans (MRI), or other tests for diagnosing & making a treatment plan.
Early Treatment for Knee Ligament Injury
In early stages, initial treatment for Knee Ligament Injury may include the following.
- Rest the Knee: One should avoid putting excessive load on knee
- Ice Pack Application: One should apply ice to minimize swelling until the pain is gone
- Compression of Knee: Controlling the swelling of knee with an elastic bandage or strap
- Elevation of Knee: Knee should be rested on a pillow while lying down or sitting
- Pain Relievers: Pain killers or other suitable medications can help relieve swelling
- Muscle-Strengthening Exercises: Exercises can reduce stress to the knee if performed in an appropriate manner
Knee Ligament Repair is a treatment for complete tear of a knee ligament resulting in abnormality in the knee. Patients with an injured knee ligament may be unable to do usual daily activities that involve turning or twisting the knee. If other medical treatments are not satisfactory, Knee Ligament Repair Surgery may be a beneficial treatment.
What Happens During a Knee Ligament Repair Surgery?
This surgery may be executed on an outpatient basis or as part of patient’s stay in a healthcare center. Procedures may vary depending on the condition of patient and respective doctor’s practices. Knee Ligament Repair may be performed while the patient is asleep under general anesthesia, or while he is awake under spinal anesthesia. Patients will have no feeling from waist down when spinal anesthesia is used. Surgeons will discuss this in advance with the patient. Surgery to repair an injured knee ligament involves substituting the ligament with a piece of robust tendon. A tendon from hamstring or kneecap, for example, is grafted into proper place to hold the knee joint together. This graft may be taken from a person (autograft) or from some organ donor (allograft).
What Happens After a Knee Ligament Repair?
After Knee Ligament Repair Surgery, patients are taken to a recovery room for surveillance. The recovery process will depend on the type of anesthesia that is given to the patient. Once the pulse, blood pressure, and breathing are steady and the patient is alert, they will be discharged from the hospital so as to go home. Patients may be given a knee immobilizer for faster recovery. Surgical staples of surgery will be removed during a follow-up visit to the doctor. Patients may take pain killers for soreness as advised by the healthcare provider. Doctors will arrange for an exclusive exercise program to help patients regain stability of muscle and range of motion. Full recovery from Knee Ligament Repair Surgery and rehabilitation may take a few months time.
Cost of Knee Ligament Repair Surgery in India
International patients who travel to India for their medical needs can get almost swift access to an endless list of world-class cost effective medical procedures. The cost of Knee Ligament Repair Surgery in India starts from USD 4,000. The success rate of Knee Ligament Repair Surgery in India is at par with that of developed nations.
Why Choose Travcure Medical Tourism for Knee Ligament Repair Surgery?
Travcure Medical Tourism is a medical tourism company cooperating with the best accredited healthcare hospitals which offer world-class treatments in India. They are partnered with the best Knee Ligament Repair professionals in the country, offering the highest level of facilities and supreme results to ensure full gratification. India is charmingly warm at heart and extremely compassionate in order to gracefully depict an amicable & conducive atmosphere for efficacious revival.[free_quotes_and_consultation]