High Intensity Focused Ultrasound or HIFU heats up the cancerous tissues & which make it die. A transrectal probe is inserted into the rectum for this purpose. High frequency sound waves are targeted from that position to cancer affected areas in prostate gland. It then destroys the diseased prostrate tissues.
Good Candidates for HIFU Prostate Cancer Treatment
Candidacy for Prostate Cancer Treatment Using HIFU
- When a patient has tried all treatment options like radiation, chemotherapy, surgery & all these do not seem to work.
- Patients who are not good candidates for other treatments
- When cancer has not metastasized or spread within the whole body
This treatment is not for –
Success Rate of HIFU for Treatment of Prostate Cancer
- Patientswith an absence of rectum
- When patients are suffering from rectal stenosis or have many prostatic calcifications/stones.
- If the patient has blood coagulation problems
- If there is a problem or reaction while receiving general or spinal anesthesia
The success rate of HIFU is 88-92% for Treatment of Prostate Cancer.
What is HIFU Procedure for Prostate Cancer Treatment?
It is performed under general anesthesia. Atransrectal probe is used, lubricated& passed into the rectum. Surgeons will focus a beam of ultrasound emitted by the probe on the cancerous tissue. This heats up the tissue & destroys it. The heat is controlled by the software to ensure that only cancerous area of prostrate is targeted.HIFU procedure might take 3-4 hours depending upon the size of prostate cancer
& areas affected by it.
Recovery after HIFU Procedure for Prostate Cancer Treatment
This is an outpatient procedure.Hence patients can leave hospital on the very same day. The recovery time is about 2 to 3 hours which again depends upon the size of prostate cancer. Doctors insert a catheter for 2-4 weeks during the procedure. Patient may experience slight difference in urinary functions such as more frequent urine or urgency. Blood or mucus like material may pass in the urine which is quite normal symptom during this period. Patients can return back to normal routine within a couple of days.
Pros & Cons of HIFU for Prostate Cancer Treatment
Pros of HIFU are –
Cons of HIFU are -
- It is safe & effective
- It is non-surgical & non-invasive
- Has fewer side effects compared to traditional methods
- It is an outpatient procedure
- The recovery is faster
Alternatives of HIFU in Treating Prostate Cancer
- There are chances of scarring of the prostate
- Side effects can be urinary stricture, erectile dysfunction, retention, incontinence, & rectal fistula
- Cost of HIFU procedure may be more expensive in some countries
- It involves surgically removing entire prostate gland & nearby tissues.
- It is performed whenprostate volume is less than 60 grams. This therapy is also known as ‘Brachytherapy’ in which prostate cancer is cured from inside.
Hormone Therapy -
If androgen is suppressed it ultimately reduces testosterone levels. Cancer in the prostate can be shrunkor growth slowed downwith hormone therapy.
- A procedure in which the cells in prostrateare exposed to sub-zero temperatures making them freeze &which is then easier to destruct or remove.
Why Plan HIFU for Prostate Cancer Treatment in India
Travcure healthcare consultants help you in finding the best Prostate cancer treatment & surgical treatment in India.
They provide outstanding medical facilities & affordable treatment packages from top healthcare giants like Apollo, Fortis, Max & many more. They have access to top-notch oncologists
& HIFU specialists who are skilled at minimal invasive techniques & traditional surgeries. Travcure always ensures that patients receive transparent, high-quality, seamless, affordable & hassle-free extensive range of treatment & services.