Bladder is a part of urinary tract which stores urine. When cancer abnormally grows in this organ, then it is called bladder cancer. It accounts for 90% of urinary problems associated with renal pelvis, ureters, bladder & urethra. Bladder cancer is treated with surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy & radiation. It is said smoking is a major risk factor for development of bladder cancer.
What Is Bladder Cancer?
Bladder is located within the pelvic cavity connected to kidneys, ureter & urethra. Bladder stores, & discharges urine. Abnormal growth of cells in bladder account for bladder cancer which grows rapidly within the lining of the bladder & can spread to other parts of the body. 90% of bladder cancers are transitional cell carcinoma.
Other 10% are -
- squamous cell carcinoma
- small cell carcinoma
- secondary deposits from cancers present elsewhere in the body
What are the Causes of Bladder Cancer?
The actual cause is still a mystery. Scientists say that it is due to the DNA. Apart from this, smoking has been linked to bladder cancer because it is likely to develop twice in smokers than non-smokers. About ½ of all bladder cancers in men & women are caused by smoking.
The bladder’s epithelial lining is irritated for longer durations & certain ‘cell changes’ may eventually lead to cancer. It may happen when catheters are placed in for a long time during radiation treatment or due to a parasite that causes schistosomiasis. If you are exposed to dyes, paints, leather dust, or other chemicals like benzidine, 2-Naphthylamine at work may also cause bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer Signs & Symptoms
Symptoms may often be similar to other bladder conditions like -
- Blood or clotting of blood in the urine i.e. hematuria
- Pain while urinating i.e. dysuria
- Frequently urination in small amounts
- Urinary tract infections
Advanced bladder cancer symptoms -
- Flank pain or lower back pain around kidneys
- Swollen lower legs
- Growth in the pelvis area near bladder or pelvic mass
When bladder cancer spreads within the body, symptoms are -
- Weight loss
- Bone pain or pain in the areas of rectal, anal, or pelvic region
Types of Bladder Cancer
Bladder cancer is diagnosed with a flexible tube bearing a camera called Cystoscopy. It is introduced through urethra for diagnosing & a biopsy of suspicious lesions is performed so as to confirm.
1. Transitional Cell Bladder Cancer - nine out of ten cases of bladder cancer are transitional cell type which is also known as urothelial cancer.
It has two types:
- Non Muscle Invasive (Superficial) Bladder Cancer - these are superficial bladder cancers that grow in the lining of the bladder & not in deeper layers of the bladder wall.
- Invasive Bladder Cancer - It grows into the muscle layer of the bladder & beyond. This cancer is divided into T2, T3 or T4 which is a part of staging of bladder cancer.
What are Treatments to Cure Bladder Cancer?
Doctors choose treatment to cure Bladder Cancer as per prognosis or severity of the cancer. It totally depends on cancer’s stage & grade & patient’s age, overall health, & quality of life. If there is early detection of cancer then surgery is the best option.While treating bladder cancer doctors follow -
- Surgery to remove the cancer. A surgery which is known as transurethral resection surgery is done through the urethra. Cystectomy is performed to remove full bladder or partial bladder.Urinary diversion surgery is done to make a new passage to store urine. It involves making a pouch inside the body from part of the intestines which is called a continent reservoir. Doctors may also make an artificial opening which is called ileal conduit where patient has to wear a flat bag or pouch to store urine outside the body.
- Chemotherapy may also be given before or after surgery to kill cancer.
- Radiation therapy uses high-dose X-rays or other high-energy rays.
- Immunotherapy is applied to attack bladder cancer cells.
What are Benefits of Bladder Cancer Treatment & Surgery?
Various modes to treat bladder cancer are surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy & immunotherapy. Surgery completely puts cessation on cancer & its associated symptoms. It is the most effective treatment for early stage cancer so as to increase life expectancy. Chemotherapy & radiation kill or shrink growth of cancer & improve overall patient’s quality of life. Immunotherapy attacks cancer cells by restoring & empowering the immune system.
Why People Choose India for Bladder Cancer Treatment & Surgery?
India is a favourite destination for all types of surgeries right from traditional to minimal invasive. These medical facilities & laboratories comprise modern computerized equipment to perform diagnostics & surgeries. There are many premium, accredited & super specialty hospitals with state-of-the-art infrastructure. Overall surgery with postoperative care, costs in India are quite affordable. Doctors are highly trained in various types of surgical procedures. Hospital staff attends patients round the clock & keep check of all their medical needs.
Finding the Best Bladder Cancer Treatment & Surgery in India?
Travcure medical tourism helps you to find the best bladder cancer treatment & surgical solution in India. They provide outstanding medical facilities & cost effective treatment packages from top healthcare giants like Apollo, Fortis, Max Healthcare & many more. They have access to top-notch oncologists & bladder cancer experts. Travcure healthcare consultants ensure that you receive transparent, high-quality, seamless, affordable & hassle-free extensive range of treatments & services.