A valid passport & visa are required for travel to India for medical solutions. To avail medical treatment in specialized /recognized/ established Hospitals/ centers in India, a short duration medical visa (MED Visa) or ‘M’ Visa has been announced by the Government of India.
Types of Indian Medical Visas
- Medical visa to undergo major treatments
- Medical visa for surrogacy
- Medical attendant visa
Up to 2 attendants who are blood relatives are allowed to accompany the applicant under separate medical attendant visas.
Oral polio vaccination/IPV only for residents of seven polio-affected countries including Nigeria is a mandatory requirement for visiting India from 1st March 2014. OPV/IPV certificate to be carried along& which is valid for one year from the date of administering it.
Yellow fever vaccination, for all except infants under six months & polio VAC/IPV for all residents, except third country foreign nationals, is compulsory for traveling to India.
What is Required
A medical visa is given to those who possess a letter from reputed & recognized hospitals where treatment is being taken or will be taken, along with supportive medical documentary/diagnostic test reports with a medical certificate about the tentative period of stay for treatment.
In the case of registration on a medical visa, if the applicant is admitted to the hospital then medical certificate bearing photo of the applicant should be attested & certified by the doctor.Extension on a medical visa will be granted on pressing medical grounds only, which warrants stay of the patient in India for urgent medical attention.
- It is advisable to apply for a visa at least 15 days before the intended date of travel.
- Recommendation from home country doctor to visit the particular specialized medical center for treatment.
- The person should have Original & Signed Passport which is valid for 6 months beyond stay in India, with at least two blank passport pages available for Indian visa stamp.
- One signed Indian visa application form plus one photocopy. It is mandatory that the actual traveler must sign their own visa application form & the signature should match in the passport of the applicant.If the signatures on the application do not match the signature on the passport, then a new original application form will be required.
Please read the Visa Application Guidelines
before you begin the online visa application form.
- One recent passport size photograph, in color, front view & with a plain/white background is needed. Glasses should not be worn in these photos; photos should not be stapled to the application.
- The other forms like India particulars form must be printed out, completed & signed by all visa applicants.
- Proof of residence is mandatory. The major utility bill or most recent (Water, Gas, Electric, Sewage), or a copy of a valid/current lease containing both the landlord & tenant signature, may also be accepted. A photocopy of the applicant's driver' license or valid state issued ID with an address that matches the present address is considered best proof of address.
- Visa Processing Time: Upon receipt of the Visa Application through Indian Visa Application Centre or directly, the Indian Mission/ Post requires a minimum of three working days to process & issue a visa depending upon the nationality & excluding special cases.
- The Visa fees are as per the Nationality & Duration of Visa applied.
- The validity of visa is for maximum three entries in a year.
For couples seeking Surrogacy
in India, the following conditions need to be followed for Medical Visa & Medical Attendant Visa for surrogacy purposes:
- A copy of marriage certificate showing the foreign man & woman has been married for at least two years.
- A letter from the Embassy of the Foreign country in India or the Foreign Ministry of the country to which the applicant couple belongs stating clearly that
- Applicant couple's country recognizes surrogacy, &
- The child/children to be born to the commissioning couple through the Indian surrogate mother would be permitted entry into the applicant couple's country as biological child/children of the couple commissioning surrogacy.
- An undertaking letter stating that the applicant couple would take care of the child/children born through surrogacy.
- Documentation demonstrating that treatment will be done only at one of the registered Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) clinics recognized by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- A notarized agreement between the prospective Indian surrogate mother& applicant couple.
Medical Attendant (MED-X) Visa
Medical Attendant Visa
to India is issued to those applicants who are traveling to attend to their blood relative who has already been granted a Medical Visa for treatment at reputed/recognized hospitals/treatment clinics in India.
- He/she should have a valid passport
- Passport size photographs
- Copy of online Filled forms
- Proof of Residential Address
- Photocopy of passport
- Proof of relationship with the patient. Attendants should be spouse/ children or those having blood relations with the patient.Not more than 2 attendants may be allowed.
Source: Bureau of Immigration, India