Neurosurgery is a branch of medical science which primarily deals with treatment of various disorders that involves abnormalities in brain, nerves and spine. Neurological disorders may emerge due to various reasons such as faulty genes, physical injuries, improper lifestyle and environmental influences. They may adversely impact physical as well as psychological state of being of an individual. Therefore, timely diagnosis and treatments are important for retaining patient’s quality of life.
What is Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery?
Minimally invasive neurosurgery is a medical intervention which can be used to treat a wide range of neurological conditions with a high degree of precision. Unlike traditional neurosurgery, it is performed with the help of sophisticated medical devices by making small incisions around concerned region. One of the major advantages of this minimally invasive neurosurgery is that it significantly reduces postoperative trauma, scarring and aids a speedy recovery.
Conditions Which Can Be Treated By Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery
Patients who are suffering from the given neurological conditions can be effectively treated with the help of minimally invasive neurosurgery.
- Brain Tumors – Brain tumors refer to a health condition that occurs due to formation of abnormal cells and tissues in brain of an individual.
- Hydrocephalus – Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is a special type of fluid that is necessary to provide cushioning to an individual’s spine and brain. Hydrocephalus is a serious health disorder that occurs due to accumulation of excessive CSF in patient’s brain and surrounding regions.
- Brain Aneurysm – Brain aneurysm is a serious neurological condition that comes in existence when artery that is responsible for supplying blood to brain gets swollen. It may get ruptured over a period of time and result in bleeding in brain or stroke.
- Spinal Cord or Nerve Compression – This condition arises when spinal cord or nerve of an individual gets compressed due to excessive pressure. It can considerably weaken patient’s arms, legs and back portion and degrade their quality of life over a period of time.
- Cushing’s Disease – This disease appears when pituitary gland starts to produce a high amount of cortisol hormone in patient’s body.
- Trigeminal Neuralgia – Clinically referred to as ‘tic douloureux’ trigeminal neuralgia is a progressive neurological disorder that causes intense pain around facial muscles of an individual.
- Spinal Cord Tumors – Spinal cord tumors are basically lumps of abnormal cells and tissues in spinal canal. They may begin to interfere with an individual’s life by causing excruciating back pain.
Patients must consult experienced neurosurgeons and discuss regarding their treatment options. Minimally invasive surgery can prove highly beneficial for such patients.
Preparing for Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery
During initial consultation, respective neurosurgeons may ask patients about the symptoms which are bothering them. In addition to this, they may ask them for the following healthcare details.
- List of Medicines – Doctors may ask patients to give a detailed description of medications which they consume regularly. Patients should not hesitate and honestly tell them the name of each and every medication.
- Imaging Tests – Respective neurosurgeons may order imaging tests such as computerized tomography (CT scan), x-ray, ultrasound test or magnetic resonance imaging test (MRI) in order to find out internal condition of patient’s brain. These imaging techniques are painless in nature. They produce high-quality images of affected areas by using various radiations in a smooth manner.
- Nutritious Food – Patients willing to undergo a minimally invasive neurosurgery must be in an overall good health condition. Therefore, patients must eat a nutritious diet during the preoperative time. They should avoid smoking and drinking alcohol in order to stay fit and reduce the risks of post-surgical complications.
Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery Procedures
The following list elaborates the major types of minimally invasive neurosurgery procedures. Respective neurosurgeons may order patients to take some essential medicines prior to the surgery.
- Intracranial Neurosurgery – This minimally invasive neurosurgery is mainly performed for treating neurological conditions like hydrocephalus, cysts and brain tumors. It involves the use of a specialized medical tool known as an ‘endoscope’. An endoscope is a thin and flexible tube that possesses camera on its one end. Doctors make a tiny hole in patient’s skull and carefully insert the endoscope in order to perform the operation. Endoscopic camera continuously provides real time images of patient’s internal brain area and helps surgeons to perform the procedure smoothly.
- Endoscopic Neurosurgery – Also known as ‘transnasal transsphenoidal neurosurgery’ endoscopic neurosurgery is the most widely used minimally invasive procedure that can effectively help in treating various types of brain tumors as well as pituitary tumors. This procedure uses an endoscope for removing the undesired tumors. Instead of making any incision in skull, respective neurosurgeons insert the endoscope directly via patient’s nose for accessing base of skull or pituitary gland.
- Micro Craniotomy – Traditional craniotomy procedure involves removal of a large portion of skull for reaching desired location in patient’s brain. Contrary to that, micro craniotomy procedure involves making small incisions in patient’s skull and scalp to serve the purpose of removal of tumors in a safe manner.
- Minimally Invasive Thoracic, Lumbar or Cervical Surgery – This type of minimally invasive procedure involves making small incisions in patient’s back portion. It can considerably help in treating spinal conditions like spinal cord tumors, spinal cord or nerve compression, chronic back pain and thoracic and lumbar hernias.
Risks and Complications Associated with Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery
Minimally invasive neurosurgery is a very safe procedure. Possibility of complications following this neurosurgery is very less. However, in some cases, patients may encounter the given problems after completion of surgery.
- Pain and Swelling – Patients may experience slight amount of pain, uneasiness and swelling following their minimally invasive neurosurgery.
- Infection – In rare cases, patients may get a severe infection at incision site. However, it can be managed with the help of medicines.
- Clotting of Blood – Some patients may have to face problems such as clotting of blood following their minimally invasive neurosurgery.
These complications can be easily handled by contacting concerned neurosurgeons or medical professionals immediately.
Recovery Following Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery
Patients may require staying in health care centers for a day or two. Recovery time mainly depends on the type of minimally invasive procedure which has been performed. Generally, its healing time is extremely less as compared to any of the traditional neurosurgeries. Patients can get back to their routine life within a few weeks. Respective neurosurgeons may advise patients to do light exercises and follow a healthy lifestyle in order to maintain long-term outcomes. Along with this, patients should attend follow-up care sessions regularly for minimizing any risks and improving their health.
Advantages of Undergoing Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery in India with Travcure
Travcure Medical Tourism is one of the highly acknowledged healthcare providers across the world. Medical consultants at Travcure dedicatedly help international patients to avail finest neurological treatments and surgeries in India at economical costs. At present, minimally invasive neurosurgery cost in western nations like Canada, UK and Norway is beyond the reach of a common man. Travcure completely understands this problem and offers a free online medical consultation to global patients. They design cost-effective as well as customized treatment packages to meet healthcare needs of each and every overseas patient. Not just this, healthcare experts at Travcure constantly stay in contact with global patients throughout their wellness journey and also during their postoperative phase to keep a check on their medical condition even when they go back to their native places. They leave no stone unturned in order to ensure patient’s good health. Therefore, international patients looking for minimally invasive neurosurgery in India can reckon upon such peerless provisions offered by Travcure Medical Tourism.
To Get Free Quotes & Consultation For This Treatment in India
Call Us: +91-8600044116
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org