What is Multiple Sclerosis?
Multiple sclerosis is a dangerous and disabling disease. It is seen to affect the spinal cord and the brain, which make the central nervous system.
In this disease the immune system starts to attack the protective myelin sheath
which cover the nerve fibers and help the brain to communicate with the rest of the body. Gradually the disease causes the nervous system to become severely affected and even permanently damaged.
As the signs and symptoms seen in multiple sclerosis tend to vary it is sometimes confused for another similar disorder. Certain people affected with this disease may experience mild signs of it while many of the patients get severely disabled.
As of yet, there has been no cure found for treating multiple sclerosis hence the main aim of the treatment methods is to help speed the recovery from the attacks as well as alter the course of the disease to manage the signs and symptoms of the disease.
What are the Early Signs and Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis?
The signs and symptoms seen in multiple sclerosis mostly resemble the symptoms seen in various other disorders and tend to differ between individuals. These signs may also change as the disease progresses
and the location of the affected nerve fibers.
These are some of the most common early signs and symptoms of multiple sclerosis:
- Weakness/numbness in one or both legs or arms usually seen on one side of the body
- Complete or partial loss of vision which usually starts in one eye and gradually progresses to the other and causes pain while moving the eyes.
- Double vision
- Pain in certain parts of the body
- Intense and sudden electrical impulses while making certain movements of the neck.
- Loss of coordination
- Slurred speech
- Bowel/bladder function problems
What Are The Causes of Multiple Sclerosis?
Although the exact cause for multiple sclerosis is not yet known it is believed to be mainly caused by a malfunctioning auto immune system
. This condition results in the body’s immune system attacking the patient’s central nervous system.
Certain genetic and environmental risk factors are believed to be responsible for causing this condition.
Are There Any Risk Factors That Increase the Chances of Multiple Sclerosis?
These are certain risk factors that have been identified as suspected for causing multiple sclerosis:
- Age – This condition may occur at any age and most cases are seen in people between the ages of 15 and 60 years.
- Sex – Women are more at risk of developing multiple sclerosis as compared to men.
- Infections – The Epstein-Barr virus is suspected to cause multiple sclerosis.
- Climate – This condition is prevalent in the temperate climate such as Asia, North Africa and southeaster Australia including Europe.
- Race – This condition is found to be more common in Asians, African Americans and Native Americans.
What are the Complications Associated With Multiple Sclerosis?
People affected with multiple sclerosis are at risk of:
- Muscle spasms/stiffness
- Mental changes (dementia, forgetfulness, etc)
These are the early signs and symptoms of multiple sclerosis that need to be identified as soon as possible and prompt and complete medical care provided for these symptoms.
Why Choose TRAVCURE for Multiple Sclerosis Treatment in India?
Travcure is one of the leaders in providing efficient medical tourism service providers in India. It is associated with a large number of advanced and highly-modern hospitals and clinics
in every corner of the country, such as Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, etc. Travcure offers the best and most effective treatment for the symptoms of multiple sclerosis at the most affordable price in India.