Orthognathic surgery overview
Orthodontics surgery is mainly responsible for correcting the position of jaw bones and teeth are which are positioned improperly. Orthognathic surgery is a combination of maxillofacial surgery or jaw surgery. The surgery improves a patient’s bite and makes chewing easier for them. The surgery is specifically designed to correct misalignment of the jaw so the jaws can fit together properly.
Facial imbalances such as an overbite, under bite cleft palate, can be corrected with the help of orthognathic surgery. Orthognathic surgery is also used to improve gummy smiles and correct malocclusions of the teeth. TMJ disease can also be prevented or corrected by orthognathic jaw surgery.
Surgery performed on the upper jaw is called as maxillary osteotomy and surgery performed on the lower jaw is called a mandibular osteotomy. Both maxillary osteotomy & mandibular osteotomy surgery can be performed at the same time to correct the alignment of the upper and lower jaw to improve the functionality of both the jaws at the same time. The surgery is generally performed by making an incision inside the mouth of the patient so there is no external scarring visible.
Candidates for orthodontics surgery
Individuals who want to undergo orthognathic surgery are generally aware of their problem prior to the diagnosis. Following are some of the conditions that may indicate if the individual needs orthognathic surgery:-
- Difficulty in chewing food.
- Facial injury.
- Difficulty in biting.
- Sleep apnea.
- Excessive wear of the teeth.
- Birth defects.
- Protruding jaw.
- Gummy smile.
- Difficulty in swallowing food.
- Chronic pain in jaw or jaw joint.
- Receding chin.
- Inability to make the lips meet without straining.
- Receding of the chin and lower jaw.
- Chronic mouth breathing
- The space between upper and lower teeth is closed inside the mouth.
- An unbalanced facial appearance from the front, or side.
The dentist, orthodontist and maxillofacial surgeon together determine whether the patient is a candidate for orthognathic surgery. The preparation of the surgery nearly involves a preliminary period of time around nine to fourteen months of orthodontic treatment in which braces are placed on the teeth of the patients. The orthodontic appliances are not removed prior to surgery. This appliance serves as an aid to the surgeon during the surgical procedure.
- Correcting an open bite: – For correcting an open bite some of the bones in the upper tooth bearing portion are removed. After the removal, the jaw is secured in the position with the help of plates and screws.
- Correcting a protruding lower jaw: – While correcting the protruding lower jaw the bone in rear portion of the jaw is separated from the front portion of the jaw after which the jaws are modified so that the tooth-bearing portion of the lower jaw can be moved back and placed in a proper alignment.
- Correcting a receding or weak chin: – While correcting the receding chin the bone in the lower portion of the jaw is separated from its base and modified. The position that bears the lower jaw and a portion of the chin are repositioned forward.
Orthognathic surgery is not a new technique. The surgery has been around for many years. With use of modern technology, instruments and techniques of stabilization the elective treatment of a patient with this form of surgery has become much more comfortable, safer and more reliable. Previously this procedure required nearly around 10 hours which now has been reduced to three to four hours with the use of modern techniques and instruments. Hospital stays are also reduced to four to six days. The results are predictable, stable, and most of all gratifying to the patient.
Risks of orthodontics surgery
- Non-healing bones.
- Further growth in incorrect position.
- Bone healing with scar tissue and not calcifying.
- Nasal and sinus congestion.
- Difficulty eating and chewing food.
Orthodontics surgery in India
Orthodontics surgeries can be very expensive in western countries whereas in India these surgeries are available at much fewer prices. India has a large pool of experienced orthodontists and dentists which provides orthodontics surgeries a good success rate. World class facilities for dental treatments are available in India.
Why choose Travcure?
The concept of medical tourism is on a verge in India which has given rise to many medical tourism companies in India. Travcure is one of the fastest growing companies in India. Travcure has the largest network of associated dentists and orthodontists across the country. A wide range of services is offered by Travcure which includes visa assistance, fixing appointments with doctors, food, accommodation, follow up with doctor’s, logistic services, airport pickup and drop services with luxurious visits to exotic locations on requests within the country. Travcure aims at providing their patients with comfortable and hassle-free medical stay in India.
To Get Free Quotes & Consultation For This Treatment in India
Call Us: +91-8600044116
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org