Nervous system plays an integral role in controlling entire functioning of our body. It is composed of two parts namely – central nervous system and peripheral nervous system. Central nervous system regulates the activities of brain and spinal cord. Whereas, peripheral nervous system regulates all the remaining nerves of body. It interconnects the nerves with central nervous system by sending signals which eventually allows a person to breathe, move, sense, feel and behave. Any abnormality in peripheral nervous system such as peripheral nerve tumors may result in loss of functioning of body. Therefore, it is crucial to diagnose and treat these tumors as early as possible.
Types of Peripheral Nerve Tumors
The following list describes some major types of peripheral nerve tumors.
- Acoustic Neuromas – Also referred to as ‘vestibular schwannomas’ acoustic neuromas are peripheral nerve tumors that develop from main nerve that connects inner ear to brain of an individual. It may adversely impact hearing capability of a person to a great extent.
- Benign Peripheral Nerve Tumors – These tumors can develop on any of the nerves belonging to peripheral nervous system. They are non-cancerous in nature but may lead to significant loss of muscle control if not treated on time.
- Desmoid Tumors – Desmoid tumors usually grow near legs, arms and abdominal area of an individual. They are clinically termed as ‘aggressive fibromatosis’.
- Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumors – These tumors develop from the outer lining of nerves that are present on spinal cord of an individual. These tumors are highly cancerous in nature and are also known as ‘neurofibrosarcomas’.
Causes and Risk Factors of Peripheral Nerve Tumors
Root cause which leads to the development of peripheral nerve tumors is not known. However, medical experts state that faulty genes may trigger the development of such tumors. Apart from that, the following risk factors may also fuel up the occurrence of these tumors in an individual.
- Medical History of Radiation – People who had undergone a radiation treatment for some health issues are prone to developing peripheral nerve tumors in future.
- Neurofibromatosis Type 1 – People suffering from neurofibromatosis type 1 are at a higher risk of getting peripheral nerve tumors.
Signs and Symptoms of Peripheral Nerve Tumors
The given points elaborate the warning signs of peripheral nerve tumors. People experiencing such symptoms for more than two weeks must visit a well-qualified doctor for medical assistance.
- Swelling or Lump – Noticeable lump or swelling beneath the skin is a primary indication of peripheral nerve tumors. Patients experiencing such symptoms should seek a prompt medical help before the condition worsens.
- Intense Pain and Tingling Sensation – Patients suffering from these tumors may experience numbness, tingling sensation and intense pain around the affected body area.
- Nerve Dysfunction – Peripheral nerve tumors may lead to nerve dysfunction and cause extreme weakness in patient’s body.
- Loss of Function – In severe cases, these tumors may result in disability by causing loss of function of affected body region.
- Balancing Issues – Patients may have to face difficulties such as dizziness and balancing problems due to presence of peripheral nerve tumors in their body.
In addition to this, patients may also encounter health issues like fatigue, sudden and massive loss of weight in case of malignant or cancerous peripheral nerve tumors.
Diagnosing Peripheral Nerve Tumors
Patients experiencing above-mentioned symptoms must consult well-experienced neurosurgeons in order to recognize exact condition and ensure best outcomes following their treatment. Respective doctors may begin the diagnosis by asking some basic yet important questions to patients. They may ask them to reveal their medical history and the drugs and medicines which they consume on regular basis. Furthermore, they may order the given tests for complete inspection of patient’s body.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Test (MRI) – An MRI scan is a painless imaging technique that helps doctors to figure out internal condition of patient’s body. It creates high-resolution images of patient’s nerves and surrounding structures with the help of radio frequencies and strong magnets.
- Computerized Tomography Scan (CT Scan) – This procedure is nearly similar to an MRI scan. Just like an MRI scan, it also produces resolute pictures of patient’s underlying nerves and tissues. Only dissimilarity between an MRI and CT scan is that it uses x-rays for serving the purpose instead of magnets and radio waves.
- Electromyography (EMG) and Nerve Conduction – Electromyography and nerve conduction are highly beneficial procedures for determining health of underlying nerves and muscles in an individual’s body. Respective doctors carefully insert needles in patient’s muscles and record electrical activity of muscles. Acquired readings help them in understanding the current status of nerves.
- Tumor Biopsy – Respective doctors may take out a sample of cells and tissues from patient’s body where they suspect tumor is present. This sample is clinically tested in a laboratory for finding out the health condition of patients.
Treatment Options for Peripheral Nerve Tumors
Treatments for peripheral nerve tumors mainly depend on the fact whether the tumor is cancerous or non-cancerous in nature.
- Treatments for Non-Cancerous Peripheral Nerve Tumors – The following treatments are mainly used to treat slow-growing and non-cancerous peripheral nerve tumors.
- Monitoring – Slow-growing peripheral nerve tumors that are small in size and have mild symptoms do not require any aggressive treatment. Respective neurosurgeons may monitor patients from time to time and ask them to visit clinic for the same. Monitoring helps in detecting the present status of tumors.
- Microsurgery for Peripheral Nerve Tumors – Surgical approach may prove beneficial when tumors begin to exert pressure on patient’s peripheral nerves. Respective surgeons may perform a surgery to remove the trouble-causing peripheral nerve tumors. Generally, the neurosurgeons use microscopic devices to recognize and remove the tumors without causing any disturbance to healthy cells and tissues. This advanced surgical outlook significantly helps in preserving body functions of patients.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) – This procedure is mostly used when small peripheral nerve tumors are present around sensitive brain areas. SRS is a painless technique that involves the use of high-dose of radiation to precisely destroy the peripheral nerve tumor without affecting the nearby healthy cells and tissues present in patient’s body.
- Treatments for Cancerous Peripheral Nerve Tumors – The given treatments can effectively treat peripheral nerve tumors which are cancerous in nature.
- Chemotherapy – Chemotherapy procedure involves the use of anti-cancer medicines and drugs to wipe out the cancerous peripheral nerve tumors from their roots. Respective neurosurgeons may provide these medicines either orally or inject them through veins of patients.
- Radiation Therapy – Radiation therapy is a painless medical intervention that uses high-intensity x-rays to kill the cancerous growth on peripheral nerves of patients. Patients may require undergoing various radiation treatment sessions for best results.
- Tumor Removal Surgery – It is the most standard treatment for removing cancerous nerve tumors from patient’s body. It is mostly carried out under the influence of general anesthetics. Respective doctors may remove the malignant tumors directly by making incisions around affected nerve area.
Risks and Complications Associated with Peripheral Nerve Tumor Treatments
The following list elaborates general risks and complications involved with various treatments of peripheral nerve tumors.
- Severe Nerve Damage – Patient’s healthy nerves, blood vessels, and surrounding tissues may get damaged during surgical operation.
- Side-effects from Radiation Therapy and Chemotherapy – Patients may encounter problems such as abdominal bloating, loose stools, diarrhea, bowel disorders and weakness following radiation therapy and chemotherapy sessions.
- Recurrence of Tumor – There is a possibility of recurrence of peripheral nerve tumors following peripheral nerve tumor surgery. In such instances, patients must seek a prompt medical care.
Recovery Following Treatment of Peripheral Nerve Tumors
Recovery highly relies on the type of peripheral nerve tumors and precise treatment which is used. Patients may feel a slight amount of discomfort in first few weeks. Doctors are likely to provide appropriate medicines to help patients stay relaxed. They may also outline a diet plan for them during their healing phase. Patients must follow each and every instruction of respective neurosurgeons in order to boost speedy healing process. Most importantly, they should attend follow-up care sessions for long-term benefits.
Merits of Availing Peripheral Nerve Tumor Surgery in India with Travcure
Travcure Medical Tourism is one of the excellent healthcare facilitators across the world. Medical consultants at Travcure are associated with a vast pool of well-qualified neurosurgeons and accredited multispecialty hospital facilities that are highly acknowledged worldwide for their outstanding contribution in medical field. Travcure offers a free online medical consultation to global patients suffering from peripheral nerve tumors in order to know their health requirements. Peripheral nerve tumor surgery cost in developed countries like United States and United Kingdom is very high. Whereas, Travcure offers similar high-quality procedures at nearly one-third of the rates which international patients may have to pay in other countries. In addition to this, they also assist overseas patients in availing their medical visas in a hassle-free manner. They strive hard to make wellness journey of patients a memorable one. They guide patients throughout their treatments as well as during their healing phase even when they fly back to their native countries. Therefore, international patients can completely rely on such peerless medical facilities and contact Travcure Medical Tourism for availing best peripheral nerve tumor surgery in India.
To Get Free Quotes & Consultation For This Treatment in India
Call Us: +91-8600044116
Email Us: email@example.com