What is Hair Transplant All About?
Hair transplant is a surgery that requires the cosmetic surgeon to remove a piece of scalp (usually from the back of the head) that has hair growth and transplanting it to the area of the scalp which has less or no hair growth. The removed strip of scalp is known as the donor site and the area in which it is transplanted is known as the recipient site.
What Are The Advantages and Risks of The Hair Transplant Procedure?
The following are the advantages and disadvantages of undergoing a hair transplant procedure.
- The biggest advantage with having a hair transplant is the growth of new and natural hair in the bald spot on your scalp.
- It does not require you to undergo any type of alternate hair growth procedure.
- The self-donor factor is also a huge advantage and removes the risk of rejection by the body.
- This is a simple procedure and is effective and shows the desired result from the beginning.
- The low cost of the procedure as compared to other alternative hair growth and regaining procedures is also an added advantage.
- This simple cosmetic procedure does not require general anesthesia and is done with a local anesthesia that numbs the donor and recipient site only.
- Hair transplantation procedure is done keeping in mind the uniformity of the denseness of the hair on the recipient scalp site.
- Too large a donor strip from the scalp can at times affect the hair growth at the donor site.
- Larger areas of bald scalp need to be transplanted with a larger area of donor scalp and the procedure can become lengthy in such cases.
- In cases where the hair growth is very sparse a larger portion of the donor scalp may need to be extracted, hence leading to injury or scarring at the donor site.
- Reaction by the body to certain medications or drugs involved in the surgery may result in some form of complications and will need to be addressed separately by the doctor.
The initial stage of a hair transplant procedure involves a thorough consultation with the cosmetic surgeon in which the surgeon will make a complete analysis of the scalp that will give you, and the surgeon, a better idea about the number of sessions required, expectations of the result, actual density of the hair through a folliscopy, etc.
The procedure for hair transplant basically involves removing a ‘donor strip’ of scalp which has the required density of hair (usually from the back of the head) and transplanting it to the new ‘recipient site’. The procedure starts with the surgeon washing your scalp with shampoo and antibacterial agents to prevent infection at the surgical sites. Care needs to taken when harvesting the donor strip of scalp so as not to disturb the follicle roots and cutting of the hair during the process.
There are two main methods of harvesting a donor strip of scalp, these are:
This is the more common form of harvesting which involves the surgeon to remove a strip of scalp from the back of the head that has sufficient hair growth and density. The harvesting is done taking extreme care so as not to remove the hair follicles in an intact manner. The next step is to remove individual follicular units from the graft that grow naturally in groups. This is done using a stereo-microscope.
The surgeon will then make microscopic punctures (point incisions) in the recipient site to receive the grafted follicle groups. This is done keeping in mind the natural density and pattern seen at the recipient site.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
This is a more refined approach towards harvesting hair follicles from the donor site. It involves removing individual follicular units (consisting of 1-4 hairs) using micro-blades. Then the surgeon makes similar micro-incisions in the recipient site keeping in mind the direction of the hair growth at the site and the density of hair to give a natural look to the transplanted hair follicles.
This procedure might take multiple sessions depending on the size of the recipient area and the degree of hair density. This is a more time consuming procedure as compared to strip harvesting.
The latest surgical advance in this surgical procedure uses robotic-assistance in performing the surgery. It involves using a robot to detect the density and angle of the follicular unit Extraction in the scalp using multiple angles from different cameras. The robotic arm works faster as compared to manual harvesting and transplanting and is known for being more precise and efficient.
A hair transplant procedure is known to be successful at 98% rate. The two main factors that contribute towards a successful hair transplant procedure are the amount of hair follicles that can be harvested for the transplant as well as their viability to be successfully harvested. The other factor is the experience and skill of the cosmetic surgeon performing the hair transplant procedure.
Travcure Medical Tourism Consultants are widely known for the efficiency, dedication and attention to detail as well as providing the lowest cost for performing a hair transplant procedure. Travcure Medical Tourism Consultants have extensive experience in managing patient to doctor co-ordination as well as adhering to the individual demands and needs of the patients. Travcure is constantly connected to the vast network of hospitals and cosmetic clinics in all major cities in India to ensure that the patient’s procedure and stay in India is comfortable and successful.
To Get Free Quotes & Consultation For This Treatment in India
Call Us: +91-8600044116
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org