Nowadays, prevalence of brain tumor among people is increasing steadily. A brain tumor occurs due to formation of unusual malignant cells in patient’s brain and surrounding area. Tumors in brain can adversely affect an individual’s quality of life and lead to debilitating condition. This life-threatening disease may also lead to patient’s death if left untreated. The Precise cause behind the occurrence of this fatal disease is still a topic of research. However, medical experts state that faulty genes, radiation treatments, and exposure to harmful chemicals are mainly responsible for the growth of tumor in brain. It can be characterized by various symptoms like frequent headaches, recurring episodes of seizures, behavioral changes, memory problems, and partial or complete loss of vision. Patients must seek a prompt medical care on observing such health problems and avoid further complications.
What Are The Treatment Options For Brain Tumor?
A brain tumor requires a timely medical attention as it may give rise to serious condition. It can be managed with the help of chemotherapy drugs treatment, targeted or biological therapy, radiation therapy treatment, or a brain tumor surgery. Brain tumor treatment mostly relies on location, severity, tumor’s size, diagnosis report, and patient’s general condition. Neurosurgeons may recommend tests like magnetic resonance imaging, magnetic resonance spectroscopy, computerized tomography, and positron emission tomography scan for finding the root cause and extent of a brain tumor.
Types of Radiation Therapy Used For Brain Tumor Treatment
Major types of radiation therapy which are widely used for treating a brain tumor include the following.
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) – It is an advanced method used to treat a brain tumor. This type of radiation therapy involves the use of high-precision x-ray accelerators to kill the unwanted malignant cells and tissues.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) – This treatment procedure is slightly different from the usual radiation therapy. Surgeons order various body scans prior to the procedure as well as during the session to maintain high degree of precision.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery – This procedure involves targeting the tumor from different angles. Unlike traditional radiation therapy, it uses a three-dimensional imaging technique to kill the cancerous cells in the affected region of brain with minimal impact on the nearby healthy cells.
- Brachytherapy – Brachytherapy is a procedure in which the surgeon implants a radioactive material directly at the brain tumor site for destroying the undesired cells.
ALSO READ: Gamma Knife Brain Tumor Treatment
Complications Associated With Radiation Therapy and Follow-Up Care
Patients may face certain side-effects like hair loss, skin irritation, fatigue, and loss of appetite following the radiation therapy. These problems can be easily managed by taking proper medicines and maintaining a healthy diet. However, there may arise a possibility of getting the following serious complications after completion of radiation therapy.
- Neurologic Deficit – A neurologic deficit may occur due to abnormal functioning of brain following a brain tumor surgery. Patients may experience decreased sensation, speaking problems, abnormal reflexes, and partial or complete loss of vision. In such instances, they must take immediate action by consulting with respective surgeons to avoid further problems.
- Cognitive Disorders – Patients may encounter several cognitive problems like speaking difficulty, memory loss, trouble concentrating for a long interval, and significant behavioral changes.
- Seizures – Seizure is a neurological problem that occurs when normal electrical activity of brain gets disturbed. It leads to episodes of vigorous body shaking in patients.
- Frequent Headaches – It is normal for a patient to get headaches during recovery phase. Surgeons usually prescribe medications to get over such problems. However, if the frequency and severity of headaches increase even after taking medications, then patients must consult respective neurosurgeons.
- Recurrence of Brain Tumor – There lies a possibility of recurrence of a brain tumor. Patients who strictly follow the instructions of surgeons and maintain a healthy lifestyle are at a lower risk of getting this post-surgical complication.
Complete recovery following brain tumor surgery may take up to 6 – 12 months. Patients must visit the health care center at regular interval of time for follow-up care sessions. It will ensure a good brain condition as well help the surgeons to figure out the improvements in patient’s health.
ALSO READ: MRI-Guided Brain Tumor Surgery
Merits of Availing Brain Tumor Surgery with Travcure Medical Tourism
Travcure Medical Tourism is a renowned medical care facilitator serving in countries like United Arab Emirates, Turkey, Germany, South Korea, and India. Healthcare consultants at Travcure are closely associated with a massive number of prime hospitals and healthcare centers across these countries. Travcure provides finest and cost-effective treatment packages to international patients seeking brain tumor treatments like chemotherapy, radiation therapy or brain tumor surgery. Patients can save up to 70 % of their money by opting for medical tourism at their desired location with Travcure. Medical experts at Travcure make sure the overseas patient get a high-quality treatment under the guidance of best surgeon. They also render recuperation packages to ensure patient’s smooth recovery following brain tumor surgery. Travcure is, indeed, the ultimate destination for availing top-class medical services at affordable costs.