What is Dermatology?Dermatology is the branch of medicinal science that deals with the various diseases and disorders that affect a person’s skin, hair and nails. Dermatology deals in the medicinal and surgical treatment of the diseases related to the skin, hair and nails. Apart from the diseases and disorders of the skin, hair and nails a dermatologist also treats certain cosmetic conditions that affect these body parts as well.
What kinds of treatments are associated with Dermatology?Dermatology is a blanket term to denote the vast number of treatments and therapies that are related to the treatment of various diseases and medical disorders related to a person’s skin, hair and nails as well as to the maintenance and improvement of the aesthetics of the skin, hair and nails. These are some of the more popular therapies and treatments that are included in dermatological treatment:
- Hair removal with laser
- Hair transplantation
- Cosmetic filer injections
- Treatment of lesions (with chemotherapy or steroids)
- Laser therapy – To treat unhealthy birth marks, skin disorders such as vitiligo, cosmetic rejuvenation and resurfacing as well as tattoo removal.
- Photodynamic therapy – To treat skin cancer and abnormal growths on the skin.
- Phototherapy – Using narrowband ultra-violet beam (UVB), broadband UVB as well as psoralen combined with UVB.
- Tattoo removal using laser
- Tumescent liposuction – This is done through the local injecting of a dilute anesthetic.
- Cryosurgery – Used for the treatment of various abnormal skin growths such as skin cancers and warts.
- Radiation therapy – Used in specific treatments.
- Vitiligo surgery – It includes various procedures such as punch grafting, suction blister grafting and auto-logous melanocyte transplant.
- Allergy testing – ‘Patch test’ is done to identify contact dermatitis.
- Systematic therapies – This involves using new unique inject-able products such as antibiotics and immune-modulators.
What are the various cosmetic treatments in Dermatology?Dermatology is not only used to treat various skin disorders and diseases but it is also widely used as a purely cosmetic procedure to maintain and enhance your aesthetic attractiveness. These are a few procedures that deal with cosmetic treatments in dermatology:
Botox injectionsThis is a safe and non-invasive non-surgical procedure that uses purified protein to improve your forehead by removing wrinkles and frown lines as well as creases and ‘crow’s feet’ from the eyes temporarily. This is the most popular cosmetic dermatology treatment in the world and is useful in reversing aging signs. The considerable results are seen in just a few days. As this is a temporary procedure the improvement lasts for around four months as the muscle action returns by then. The dermatologist uses a tiny needle to inject the Botox into the muscles of the desired area within a few minutes and the results are seen within a short period of time.
Juvederm injectionsThis is the latest in line from the cosmetic treatments for reversing the signs of aging as well as enhancing certain aspects of your face. Juvederm is an injectable gel made from natural hyaluronic acid and is considered a safe and temporary method for smoothening wrinkles and to do lip enhancements. This cosmetic skin filler is useful in restoring the skin’s hydration ability and recovering the lost volume. The Juvederm gel is injected into the deep and mid dermis (skin) to correct moderate to severe facial folds and wrinkles. This treatment takes barely a few minutes and the results last longer – up to 1 year.
Laser hair removalLaser hair removal is basically of two types: The first method uses a beam of light focused on the follicle (hair root) which gets destroyed with the heat generated by the laser but does not affects the surrounding skin. A coolant is sprayed on the top skin to avoid any discomfort by the laser to the patient. This treatment requires around 4-6 sessions for achieving complete hair-free skin in the desired area of the body. However this treatment is not successful with people having certain hormonal imbalance or gray and white hair.
[free_quotes_and_consultation]The other form of laser hair removal is known as the diode laser treatment. This is a faster and more effective hair removal procedure. In this the laser is absorbed only by the hair shaft which conducts the energy to the follicle (hair root) and causes the destruction of the follicle without harming the surrounding skin. This procedure is usually done in around 4-10 sessions to achieve optimum results.