What is Weight Loss Surgery?
It is a surgery that completely transforms digestive track & physical features. It may be performed on those who have 30 or more BMI, or have type2 diabetes, or have heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, high cholesterol, or obstructive sleep apnea.This method completely but gradually alters body’s metabolic process by restricting the quantity of food in stomach. Lesser calories absorption leads to lesser hunger urges, &ultimately resulting in a lean body frame. It is not the patient’s, but doctor’s opinion to choose the most suitable surgery according to the body type & health.
Weight Loss Surgery Eligibility
You are only eligible if -
- You are overweight BMI 30 or more or an obese adult having type 2 diabetes
- You are aware of the risks & benefits
- You are ready to adapt ‘modified eating habits’(less eating)
- You are ready to maintain reduced body weight by making certain lifestyle changes
- You are a teen,extremely obese with a body mass index (BMI) of at least 30-35 &have weight-related conditions
Procedure of Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss surgery is performed:
- By reducing the stomach size with a gastric band or through removal of a portion of the stomach i.e. by sleeve gastrectomy orbiliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch,or
- By resecting & re-routing the small intestines to a small stomach pouch i.e. gastric bypass surgery.
How Does Weight Loss Surgery Work?
Your doctor chooses either traditional or laparoscopic procedures for surgery depending on the illness & body type. After the surgery you are told to stay in the hospital for about 10 days or lesser. A meal plan for a week is given by the doctor where you have to consume only liquid or soft food for lesser complications. Once stitches are healed then you can start your normal activities & take normal food. In Bariatric or weight loss surgery the food storage is restricted by the new stomach size. It cannot now hold the quantity of food which earlier it used to,thereby reducing the amount of calories that can be absorbed. You will have to visit doctor regularly so as to monitor the work flow of the newly altered digestive system.
What are the Common Types of Weight Loss Surgeries?
adjustable gastric band surgery the surgeon places a band surrounding the upper portion of the stomach organ.
- In gastric bypass surgery, stomach sack or pouch is divided into two parts & small intestines are rearranged to connect both sacks.
- Mini gastric bypass surgery or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery is a very simplified form of surgery where complications are quite negligible.
- In Biliopancreatic diversion surgery, the size of the stomach is reduced by a minimal invasive surgery in which stapling procedure is performed.
- The Sleeve gastrectomy / gastric sleeve surgery is very complex surgery which involves removing & reducing stomach size so as to give it a shape of a banana. You will need an expert to perform this surgery.
- Endoscopic intragastric balloon surgery is done by placing an empty balloon through an endoscopic camera. Generally performed on the patient having BMI 30-70 but it lasts for 6 months only.Patients feel satiated which ultimately reduces his/her hunger pangs & obviously weight with this procedure.
- In Gastric reduction duodenal switch surgery, 70 % of the stomach portion along with hunger hormone called ‘ghrelin’ is removed. The patient loses 85-90% of the body weight with this procedure.
- The Revision gastric bypass surgeryis for those who already have undergone weight loss or bariatric surgery or had any complications with prior surgery.
- In Gastric imbrication or plication surgery, EndoFLIP is used by surgeon to anticipate the diameter of new stomach pouch. He then folds, stitches & shrinks the stomach reducing its size to hold less food which ultimately cuts down too many caloriesabsorption.
Effects of Weight Loss Surgery
There are no side effects but some may experience:
- Mood swings
- Body aches
- Body is somewhat warm but it is not due to fever
- Dry skin & hair thinning.
Benefits of Weight Loss
Post surgery with regular exercise & meal plan you can definitely lose half of the weight or even more within 1-2 years. Some lifestyle changes along with dietary changes may improve conditions like type2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure & gastro oesophageal reflux disease. There is a significant long-term loss of weight& a reduction in mortality upto 40%.
Why Choose Weight Loss Surgery in India?
India has top Bariatric surgeons
to perform complex weight-loss procedures in a finest way, the success rates are 85-90%. The costs of gastric sleeve surgery, revision surgery for failed bariatric surgery, robotic-assisted Bariatric surgery, & other bariatric surgeries are much cheaper compared to other countries. The hospitals & clinics have world-class technology infrastructure along with safer & cleaner environment.The medical experts provide the best balanced diet & effective exercise plan after surgery. This specialist destination of bariatric / obesity surgery
offers high-tech medical solutions to a large variety of healthcare problems. Lastly, overall cost of surgery along with tourism is still quite affordable in India.