Dental Treatment – Overview
Dental treatment refers to a large number of dental cosmetic and functional treatment and surgical procedures that are performed in order to improve the aesthetic aspects or to restore normal function to the jaw and facial region, which includes the teeth, gums, jaw and certain facial bones, facial muscles, tissues and other structural components.
Dental treatment is mainly categorized mainly into dental treatment and dental surgery:
There are various treatment and minor surgical procedures included in this such as:
- Bonding – This is a restorative procedure which uses tooth enamel-colored adhesive resin (synthetic) to repair the damage to the teeth that are decayed, discolored of fractured. This treatment is also used to fill in gaps between teeth. This is a simple enough procedure and the bonding procedure can be done completely in the dentists’ office.
- Braces – Dental braces are dental devices used to align the teeth into normalcy and to improve misaligned bite problems. This device aligns the teeth by exerting steady pressure on the misaligned teeth till they are aligned normally over a period of a few months or a couple of years.
- Bridges & Implants – Missing teeth can be replaced using bridges or implants. Bridges are basically false teeth that are fitted to the neighboring healthy tooth, and consist of two anchoring crowns at the ends with the filling false tooth/teeth in the middle. Dental implants are dental root replacements that are used to fit replacement teeth in place.
- Crowns & Caps – Crowns are basically dental devices that act as protection and support for decayed or damaged and cracked teeth. Also known as caps, dental crowns fit and cover the entire teeth that are visible above the gum line.
- Dentures – Dentures are dental prosthetic devices that are used to replace missing or lost teeth completely. Dentures may be used in partial or full form, depending on the number of missing teeth.
- Oral Cancer Examination – In this the dentist will examine the neck, face, head and inside the mouth for any lumps, abnormal growths or irregular tissue change such as discoloration or sores inside the mouth. Oral cancer mostly begins in the cells of the mouth, throat or tongue.
- Teeth Whitening – Teeth get dark with age and use, however abnormal discoloration or staining may occur at an early age due to smoking, tobacco use, caffeine habit, certain food and beverages in the regular diet. There are a large number of teeth whitening procedure that can be done either at the dentist’s office or some can be performed even at home.
- Veneers – Veneers are thin plates of strong ceramic or resin substance that are used to bond damaged teeth together as well as to fill the gaps between teeth.
These are just some of the commonly-performed dental treatment procedures that are mostly done as aesthetic/cosmetic procedures.
There are various dental surgery techniques that are used to improve the aesthetic aspect of the oral cavity (mouth), facial region, jaw, teeth, gums, etc as well as to improve or restore its functioning.
These are some of the commonly performed oral surgery procedures that are required to treat a number of dental problems:
- Impacted teeth – These are third molar teeth and are the last set of teeth to develop in the mouth. At times, these teeth may emerge misaligned due to lack of sufficient space in the gum-line. These misaligned ‘wisdom’ teeth do not emerge completely and thus their growth is ‘impacted’. This condition causes pain, swelling and infection in the gum tissue around the impacted wisdom tooth. Also, impacted wisdom teeth are known to cause damage to the surrounding healthy teeth as well as the gums, bones which can lead to the formation of cysts and tumors in the jaw. Surgical removal of an impacted wisdom tooth is highly recommended to avoid these complications.
- Unequal jaw growth – This condition causes the upper and lower jaw to be misaligned with one being shorter than the other. This can lead to problems in speech, eating, swallowing difficulty as well as breathing issues. At times, if the degree of misalignment is small this condition can be improved with the use of certain orthodontist devices, severely uneven jaws may require surgical improvement in order to remove the complications associated with an unequal jaw syndrome.
- TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) disorders – These are a group of disorders that affect the joint structure of the joint that is situated at the point where the lower and upper jaw meet behind the ear. A problem in this joint can lead to headache and pain in the face. At times, this condition can be treated with the use of medications and physical therapy, but when this condition becomes severe, it requires surgical intervention to restore normal functioning to the joint as well as treat the acute headache and facial pain accompanying it.
- Facial Injury repair – Dental (oral) surgery is often required to repair a fractured jaw or other broken facial bones as well as to restore functioning of damaged facial bones and jaw-bones.
- Biopsy/Lesion Removal – This procedure is useful in removing a sample of the abnormal oral growth (tumor/lesion) in order to perform detailed pathological examination of the tissue and to determine if the tumor is benign or malignant in nature.
- Cleft Lip/Palate surgery – Cleft lip, or palate, repair surgery is one of the most commonly performed restorative oral surgeries in the world. A cleft lip, or palate, is caused when total, or partial, portion of the nasal cavity and the mouth does not grow together and a prominent gap can be seen since the fetal development stages. This split lip, or roof of the mouth, lead to certain breathing problems, speech difficulties, eating and swallowing issues among other problems.
- Facial infections – Swelling and pain in the neck, jaw, face can be an indication towards the presence of an infection in the facial region. These infections, at times, can lead to life-threatening complications if not treated promptly. Oral surgery can help to remove the fluid from the infection site as well as remove the damaged tissue and prevent the infection from spreading further.
Dental treatments can help a person improve their attractive appeal as well as help to restore functioning in the facial region such as the mouth, neck and face after a disorder or an injury affects its functioning.
To Get Free Quotes & Consultation For This Treatment in India
Call Us: +91-8600044116
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org