What is Hip Replacement Surgery?
Hip replacement surgery is the surgical procedure to replace an affected and painful hip joint with an artificial hip joint implant that assists the patient to regain function and restore normal movement in the hip. It is mostly required when the person’s hip gets damaged in any way because of cartilage wear and tear as caused by arthritis or through a severe injury to the hip.
When do I need Hip Replacement Surgery?
The hip joint is one of the larger joints in a human body. It is a typical ‘ball and socket’ joint that enables free and extended movement of the leg and upper body. The femur (thigh bone) has a ‘femoral head’ (ball-like end) and the acetabulum (lower hip) is the part of the pelvic bone with a ‘socket’.
The femoral head fits perfectly into the acetabulum socket and this joint is cushioned by a layer of articular cartilage between them while the synovial membrane around the hip joint secretes a lubricating fluid to avoid friction between the joint components (femur and acetabulum).
Furthermore there are strands of tissue ligaments that connect the hip joint components together to support and stabilize this joint.
A hip replacement surgery is required in case of chronic pain or instability seen in the hip joint because of various reasons, such as:
- Congenital hip disorder – A number of childhood hip diseases can cause hip arthritis in the adult age even when treated earlier during childhood. This usually happens when the hip grows in an abnormal way or the joint surfaces experience friction.
- Osteonecrosis – Also known as ‘avascular necrosis’ this is caused due to an injury to the hip (fracture or dislocation) that affects the blood supply to the femoral head. This irregular blood supply to the hip joint may cause brittleness and weakness in the bone which results in arthritis eventually.
- Post-traumatic arthritis – This type of disorder is caused when the person experiences a severe fracture or injury to the hip which causes the cartilage to get damaged. This can lead to pain and loss of movement in the hip.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – This is caused when the synovial membrane’s fluid dispensing function is affected. This can result in pain and loss of movement in the hip joint by damaging the cushioning cartilage.
Also Read: Proximal Hip Replacement Surgery
What happens in a Hip Replacement Surgery?
The basic idea behind a hip replacement surgery is to replace the damaged and non-functional hip joint components (femoral head and acetabulum) by using artificial joint implants.
This is done by a total hip replacement surgery. It uses plastic, ceramic or metal alloy parts to replace the ball-end of the femur bone and install a new surface in the acetabulum socket in the pelvis. These implants are either joined with the bone using surgical cement or with the help of a porous coating substance that helps the bone to adhere to the artificial implant in a natural manner.
The hip replacement surgery is performed by putting the patient under general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia, depending on the medical history and the overall health of the patient. After the anaesthesia is administered, the doctor might choose either a:
- Conventional surgery (open) – In this the surgeon will make an incision at the side of the hip and shift the muscles, ligaments and tendons aside to get a better view of the affected hip joint. The surgeon will cut off the femoral head using a surgical saw and clean the acetabulum region of any debris (bone pieces in case of fracture). This is followed by attaching the artificial implants to replace the femoral head and the acetabulum. The surgeon then stitches the incisions close.
- Minimally invasive surgery – This type of surgery is one of the latest in surgical procedures. It requires the doctor to make smaller and lesser number of incisions in the hip. This surgery uses microscopic surgical instruments to reach the affected hip joint and replace the components with artificial implants. Minimally invasive surgery decreases the amount of blood loss as well as scarring.
Also Read: What is Hip Resurfacing Surgery
What are the best hospitals for Hip Replacement Surgery in India?
India is known world-wide for its extensive network of hospitals covering all major Indian cities that offer the best of orthopedic medical care. The orthopedic doctors and surgeons have a vast experience in managing complex hip replacement cases till date and the success rate is incomparable with other countries.
Also Read: Bilateral Hip Replacement Surgery
Cost of Hip Replacement Surgery in India
Success rate of hip replacement surgery largely depends upon effective implementation of orthopedic surgeons’ instructions regarding aftercare & rehabilitation program. Most patients will however be quite capable of performing daily activities before being discharged from the hospital.
The healthcare team consisting of orthopedist, nurses, physical therapist, occupational therapist & recreational therapist will ensure that the patient is safe to go home.
Cost of hip replacement surgery must therefore take into account all these heads in order to get a complete picture of the expenses involved during treatment. As such, availing hip replacement surgery in India is money saving, especially for international patients who were otherwise willing to travel to developed nations like Australia, UK, Germany, Canada & the United States.
Just imagine having to pay $55,000 for hip replacement surgery in United States of America or $19,000 in Mexico or $14,000 in Thailand while you can get excellent treatment for $10,500 in India with the best prosthetic implant.
Cost of hip replacement in India is not just affordable it is perhaps one of the best a patient can get anywhere else in the world.
Why to choose Travcure Medical Tourism Consultants for Hip Replacement Surgery in India?
Travcure Medical Tourism Consultants have an experienced team to handle foreign patients and are well-versed to manage each individual requirement and demands. We at Travcure understand that every individual is different and has specific preferences, and thus we ensure that all the patients’ requirements are met without delay.
We facilitate and manage your complete itinerary with a dedicated representative by your side throughout your stay in India. Travcure offers the best deals at the lowest price keeping in mind the needs and requirements of the patient comes above all else.
Available For Patient Testimonials