World Thyroid Day is celebrated on 25th of May every Year. This day is dedicated to thyroid patients and to people who are committed to studying and treat thyroid diseases worldwide. World Thyroid Day is celebrated with five major goals:-
- To focus on the need for education and prevention programs.
- To emphasize the prevalence of thyroid diseases.
- To promote the understanding of advances made in treating thyroid disease.
- To Increase awareness of thyroid health in people.
- To expand awareness of new treatment modalities in public.
A thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the middle of the lower neck. This gland produces hormones that influence every cell, tissue, and organ in our body. The thyroid hormones also regulate the body’s metabolism. There are different types of thyroid such as Thyroid Nodules, Goiter, Thyroid cancer, Thyroiditis Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism. The thyroid is treated with medications and in some cases surgery is necessary.
Millions of people worldwide are affected with thyroid diseases. It is important to spread awareness about thyroid disease to encourage people and help them recognize the symptoms and seek medical help.